Album Art

Aunt_Acid

A place to talk about your favorite album art. What you like about it, what you don't like. Also, any questions you may have about it, this would be the place to ask them.

Album art that always threw me for a loop was Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. The burning guy shaking hands with some other guy in an industrial park. Also, for the song have a cigar, there is a picture of a guy swimming in sand. Who is this guy, and what is the significance of swimming in sand?

Anyway, post away!

thisiswhere.jpg

********** The Idealized Van Morrison *********

from a Bang Records compilation album released in 1977.

[ I planned to post this to the Van Morrison thread, but those messages suddenly vanished without a trace. The first poster mentioned that he pictured Van as tall, black and magnetic rather than short, white and ugly. My guess is someone construed that as racist, and the thread got axed ??]

Anyway this cover art by Kevin Seale doesn't look anything like Van Morrison ever did.

I always liked the Abraxas cover. I love the way it pictures his culture. And the angel delivering the conga as if music was a gift from above. And the food as if someone was going to have a feast or a celebration. And the naked woman :o

10111729.jpg

I also like these among others:

folder.jpg

Hawkwindchurchback.gif

sonicyouthdaydream.jpg

It's a well know fact that most of the songs in WYWH are inspired and/or dedicated to Syd. Have a cigar it's about how the music executives never cared about the guy (do they ever?), just to sign him up.

"And I mean that most sincerely.

The band is just fantastic,

that is really what I think.

Oh by the way, which one's Pink?"

The cover looks like two guys sealing some kind of deal? One of them is about to get burned real bad. The invisible, faceless guy in the back seems like he has been trveling a lot and he's offering a see-through record. Not sure what it means but it's probably in the same line.

I don't know why the album cover is leaking sand and water, or what the red cloth means. It also came with a postcard of a man diving into a lake or very calm sea. Any ideas?

fragile.jpg All of the Yes sleeves (early Yes) had way cool album art. I always liked how it would fold out and there would be more drawings on the inside. yellowbrick.jpg An album with some great songs and some ok songs, but for some reason I really like the album cover. It's cool. shavedfish.gif An album that I am liking more and more each time I hear it. I like all the sketches on the front though. facebc.jpg Not necessarily great album art, but I like the guy on the far right, his face always makes me laugh. The picture quality isn't too great, but if you look at the back of the LP, he has his faces pressed up against the glass. Jeff Lynne looks like a mad bull in this one too. animals-cover-m.jpg I have always liked this album art. I've never been quite clear as to what the story was concerning the giant inflatable pig though. Hopefully I haven't made this page difficult to load.

I think pigs are politicians?

"Hey you whitehouse, ha ha, charade you are

You house proud town mouse, ha ha, charade you are"

So maybe it means how politicians soar over the city they try to control as if they wouldn't want to miss a thing? I could be dead wrong though.

That makes sense. I heard something about the pig not supposed be getting up there in the air, and the rope came loose or something, but I don't know how true that is. The way I view the album, although I'm probably wrong, is this: Pigs are the high up people, the people who totally reap the benefits of others work, and are, like you said, politicians, but also bosses, CEOs, etc. I think Dogs are ordinary people who gradually get moved up the economic ladder and become in a higher position than entry-level. They sort of forget what it was like to be the proletariat, and exploit the people that are under them, the helpless sheep. That is my opinion, and it's probably wrong, so if anyone else has any ideas go ahead and shout em out.

That makes sense. I heard something about the pig not supposed be getting up there in the air, and the rope came loose or something, but I don't know how true that is. The way I view the album, although I'm probably wrong, is this: Pigs are the high up people, the people who totally reap the benefits of others work, and are, like you said, politicians, but also bosses, CEOs, etc. I think Dogs are ordinary people who gradually get moved up the economic ladder and become in a higher position than entry-level. They sort of forget what it was like to be the proletariat, and exploit the people that are under them, the helpless sheep. That is my opinion, and it's probably wrong, so if anyone else has any ideas go ahead and shout em out.

First, You're right. The Pig did get loose.

Second, Your theory on the whole Animal's meaning is pretty much dead on...if you believe the general consensus

Third, Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" has great album art.