Best singing actresses

Mike

Undoubtedly the best youngest singing actress is non-other than the famous Shirley Temple (b. April 23, 1928) was seven years old when she became No. 1 at the box office in 1935, retaining the title to 1938. - Some of the most famous and unforgetable classics are "On the good ship lollypop", "Baby take a bow", and "Animal Crackers in my Soup". - I loved watching her when I was growing up.

The oldest but also one of the greatest is Cher (b. May 20, 1946) Cher's success in music, movies, and TV spans nearly four decades. She had her first hit in 1965 with "I Got You Babe," a duet she sang with her then husband Sonny. In the 1970's Cher made it big in TV with The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour. Her TV exposure fuelled further No. 1 hits such as "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves".

Cher is one of the best of the bunch. In April 1988 she won a best-actress Oscar for Moonstruck and most of her movie roles have been well received. Personally I loved her in Suspect (1987) with Dennis Quaid and Liam Neeson. (I don't think she ever sang in one of her movies on screen)

A couple of great actresses and singers - I tip my hat to you both! :thumbsup:

~ Mike

Cher is very good at both singing and acting. She's one of the few that can pull off both really well.

Other than that I'd say Judy Garland, as she was an excellent singer and actress, though she mostly did musicals, which pretty much need you to be able to sing and act.

One that amazed me though was Bjork. I love her music, and I loved her film Dancer In The Dark where she won best actress at Cannes. She was great in that movie. Apparently she had a bad experience working on the film, and doesn't want to make another, which is a shame as she was very good.

• 3 weeks later...

One great singer and actress which i find oddly strange that nobody has mentioned is Barbara Striesand ,well i think she's a good actress and an incredible singer ,i mean come on ppl don't u remember her from "Funny Girl" and how about "The Way We Were"! those were great movies and she was really good in them! :coolio:

Bjork - good call! Dancer in the Dark was incredible, a definite "must rent" movie. But, don't watch it if you're not in the mood for a depressing movie, and be sure to have lots of tissues handy!

I hadn't heard about the "bad experience" do you know what happened?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Judy, Judy, Judy...

Clang, clang, clang went the trolley

Ding, ding, ding went the bell

Zing, zing, zing went my heartstrings

As we started for Huntingdon dell...

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

IMO, her most notible performances were in the Wizard of Oz & Babes on Broadway & Meet Me in St. Louis. There's also a few touching films I've seen in her earlier years, like Zigfield Girl (sp?) & Thoroughbreds don't cry, but I haven't seen those in ages.

Me too, guys. Love her in Meet Me In St. Louis with the original version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."

Elvish, someone did a thread where if you could only have one mix cd to listen to forever, and I put that song on it, and specifically wrote, 'Judy Garland version'