Rock Wercher 2008 Afterthoughts

Viaene

From the 3th till the 6th of July of the blessed year of 2008 my friends and I had the time of our lives, as planned. The Line-up for this worldwide known Music festival was legendary. The only bad part would be the 2 stages, we had to make tough choices as we couldn’t be at two places at once. There was the Marquee, where I attended about 2 performances, The rest of the time I spend in front of Mainstage (or near the camping spot). This is a short note of all the artists I saw and their impression on me.

Day one

Mika

I only saw the last 3 song which I knew. Catchy tunes, he can sing live, better then I would have imagined.

Lenny Kravitz

Funky! He loved the audience and the audience loved him, he’s a good entertainer, the First performance I really enjoyed.

R.E.M.

Good opening, they played all their hits (except everybody hurts) plus a lot of things from their new album, I wish I knew the album better (only had one or 2 listenings that time) because sometimes it was just waiting untill they played their next song. Nevertheless great performance!

The National

I had a bad view, it was raining cats and dogs and the sound wasn’t perfect on that place, but they sounded good for a band I didn’t know.

2manydjs

I went there for half an hour and partied all the energy out of me, great fun!

Day two

The Black Box Revelation

After few hours of sleep, I got blasted away, kickass band, awesome sound for such young guys, they started as a Black Keys coverband but have already grown to a real band making rocking songs!

Babyshambles

I was about to go but then they last minute cancelled because Pete Dorothy was arrested in Brussels. We ran away from Air Traffic, their replacement act.

Jay-Z

he didn’t have much songs of his own, mostly they just played the song in which he featured, he did his rap thing and that was it. I wasn’t impressed and left before the end.

The Verve

I really enjoyed them, great performers, you can feel that. They played all the songs I knew from them which was outstanding, but I liked all the other songs too. I became a fan!

Neil Young

It’s Neil Young, what’s to say? He was better then anything I seen before. His last song was extended to +30 minutes, a musical summum if you ask me. On his last bis-song he played his guitar till all strings broke and then slowly let it bounce on the ground until it was silent; Legend of Rock!

Moby live remixed

It was a good, funky, disco party, we danced alot and enjoyed his stimulating vibes!

Day Three

Editors

Seen the last part, recognised two songs and the audience had fun despite the rain, but I’m no fan of their music.

Kings of Leon

the singer has a special voice, I like special voices and I enjoyed the songs I knew. I think the other songs ask for a few listens to like them, mostly I was just waiting for the next song to be played

Ben Harper

very skilled artist, I sat down and let his music flow over me, I was impressed!

Sigur Rós

a very charismatic singer, I knew his kind of music and some of the songs did ring a bell but I couldn’t really recognise anything. I sat down on the same spot as for Ben Harper and I let the music flow over me and I likei t a very lot!

Radiohead

placed second right after Neil Young, they played ‘In RainBows’ in it’s entire and also a few of their smaller hits. I knew all of them and so I enjoyed the performance with all my heart. When it was over I realised they didn’t play a few classics which would have placed them on the same place as Neil Young. An unforgettable performance nevertheless!

Day four

The Kooks

I saw them last year and wasn’t impressed, now I saw their last songs and I have to saw they have grown better, but I never was a big fan of their music.

The Raconteurs

Kickass! I didn’t really knew them befor but now I’m very motivated to discover their music, they totally blew me away. Jack once again showed his great and experimental guitar skills and the others of the band accompannied him in his rocking work of art!

Kaiser Chiefs

they, or at least Peter, the singer, were drunk and the know like no other band to entertain the audience! Great party, if you don’t like their music, I’d still advise their live shows!

Beck

He played all the songs I knew plus many others that sounded good, his performance rocked and he got another fan!

dEUS

A Belgian band to close world’s greatest music festival! And they did a perfect job! Playing alot from their latest album and ending with some older hits. At the end they got company of a choir for their biggest hits. The last song of the festival was Suds & Soda with Fireworks, how could that not turn out awesome!

This will be done again next year!

*my apologies for any weird sentences or spelling mistakes.

R.E.M.

Good opening, they played all their hits (except everybody hurts) plus a lot of things from their new album, I wish I knew the album better (only had one or 2 listenings that time) because sometimes it was just waiting untill they played their next song. Nevertheless great performance!

how long was their concert? six hours? :jester:

anyway, that really reads like some kick-posterieur concert :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: