The Songfactors' Choice: Best Canadian Artists!

Lucky

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I too late? I just noticed this...

If not too late, my nomination is Chilliwack (from Chilliwack, British Columbia). Here's a list of their most popular songs:

Arms Of Mary

California Girl

Fly By Night

I Believe

Lonesome Mary

And my second nomination is Chantal Kreviazuk and her popular songs are:

All I Can Do

In This Life

Julia (about Julia Roberts)

Time

If anyone wants to do the Youtube links for a few of the songs, that would be greatly appreciated. I need to ask my teen-aged daughter for some internet linkage lessons....

Am I too late? I just noticed this...

If not too late, my nomination is Chilliwack (from Chilliwack, British Columbia). Here's a list of their most popular songs:

Arms of Mary

California Girl

Fly by Night

I Believe

Lonesome Mary

And my second nomination is Chantal Kreviazuk and her popular songs are:

All I Can Do

In This Life

Julia (about Julia Roberts)

Time

If anyone wants to do the Youtube links for a few of the songs, that would be greatly appreciated. I need to ask my teen-aged daughter for some internet linkage lessons....

Here you go Mars. Those teenage daughters come in handy. Youtube links are pretty easy though. Pt me, I'll be happy to help you out! :)

Fly By Night!! Oh, I'd forgotten this song! How could I?? :) :bow: :bow:

I'd never heard Chantal Kreviazuk. Lovely! :)

Edited by Guest

Isn't Vancouver in British Columbia? I should be more familiar with Canada. :P

Yes, and I live there.(here?)

foolonthehill,

Thanks for the correction.

haha you're welcome it's really not a huge difference between Chilliwack and Vancouver, just an hour's drive, but I just remember my dad telling me that they were from Vancouver but picked the name Chilliwack because it sounded interesting.

Edited by Guest

how much longer do I have to do my glowing reviews of the two artists I nominated (neither of which I can remember at the moment) :crazy: :grin:

I will go back and look them up this weekend if I have that long... :puppyeyes:

*cough* *cough*

sorry, it's the dry air in here :angel: :grin:

without further adieu...

My first nom:

[smaller](if someone would be so kind as to insert photo here, it would be much appreciated.) :) [/smaller]

45912dj8.jpg

The Blues Brothers

Jake and Elwood

Comedians Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi began this band as a skit for Saturday Night Live. In it, "Howard Shore and his All-Bee Band" play the Slim Harpo song "I'm a King Bee," with Belushi singing and Aykroyd playing harmonica, dressed in the bee costumes they wore for the "Killer Bees" sketch.

It proved such a hit that it began to take on a life separate from SNL. They dubbed themselves the Blues Brothers, and wrote biographies complete with stints in prison, which fleshed out their characters.

While performing as an opening act for Steve Martin in 1978, they wrote their first album, Briefcase Full Of Blues, which went to No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Creating a movie around the album, Belushi and Aykroyd starred in the leading roles of the characters they had created with the SNL sketch, Joliet "Jake" Blues and Elwood Blues.

It speaks to the ridiculous talent that these two performers possessed that the characters they created became legendary, and a part of Americana. Even though none of the tracks off Briefcase are original, it's due in large part to the Blues Brothers that they are so very familiar.

Belushi died in 1982 of a drug overdose. Aykroyd put the band back together with actor John Goodman and Belushi's brother Jim filling in the considerably large shoes he left.

My fondest memories of the Blues Brothers will be a cassette tape we used to listen to over and over and over in my sister's first car. I think that tape had to be replaced 3 times during the course of the next year from overlistening. It was just too cool to not have it playing in the background during any car ride or party. Period.

Edited by Guest
finally something I can help with :-)

my second nom:

[smaller](again, the photo thing, please? :grin: :grin: [/smaller]

388708wp5.jpg

Sarah McLachlan

My first experience with Sarah McLachlan was her song about a stalker, "Possession," off Fumbling Towards Ecstasy in 1993. It so entranced me that I had to go and find other stuff by her... and I was rewarded with rich lyrics and arrangements that were absolutely stunning. Her videos are works of art as well... incredible visual candy.

With her haunting vocal treatments, her ability to draw the listener into an otherworldly experience is uncanny, as evidenced by her contribution to the City Of Angels soundtrack, "Angel."

Sarah works hard for charities and is always willing to provide help when needed, donating time and money toward such causes as the fight against child prostitution in Thailand and Cambodia, working with Bob Geldof in his many efforts, and filming television spots to raise awareness to the plight of animals in shelters.

She writes from the heart, sings from the heart, and lives from the heart - and it comes across in the form of extraordinary music.

thanks a lot, Shawna ;):)

and here are the

NOMINATIONS

Alanis Morisette

April Wine

Arcade Fire

Avril Lavigne

Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Band, The

Barenaked Ladies

Blues Brothers, The

Bryan Adams