The Songfactors' Choice: Best Canadian Artists!

Lucky

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Band

Robbie Robertson, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson (all of them Canadian) and American Levon Helm became the backing group for Bob Dylan´s tours in 1965/66 and developped a working relationship with him during his reclusion.

Their folkish rock style, their skills on stage and the strenght of their songs were their label. Two top albums: "Music From Big Pink" and"The Band"; one movie: "The Last Waltz" (directed by Martinb Scorsese) and their long-time collaboraton with Dylan on albums as "Blonde On Blonde", "The Basement Tapes", "Planet Waves" or "Before The Flood" are a basic resume of their best years.

thanks to the almighty Wikipedia

Alanis Nadine Morissette (born June 1, 1974) is a Canadian-born singer-songwriter, record producer, and actress. She has won 12 Juno Awards and seven Grammy Awards, and has sold over 55 million albums worldwide. Morissette began her career in Canada, and as a teenager recorded two dance-pop albums, Alanis and Now Is the Time, under MCA Records. Her international debut album was the rock-influenced Jagged Little Pill, which remains the best-selling debut album by a female artist in the U.S., and the highest selling debut album worldwide in music history, selling 30 million records worldwide. According to RIAA and United World Charts, Alanis is the biggest selling female rock artist in music. Her following album, Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, was released in 1998 and was a success as well. Morissette took up producing duties for her subsequent albums, which include Under Rug Swept, So-Called Chaos and latest release Flavors of Entanglement. According to RIAA and United World Charts, Alanis is the biggest selling female rock artist in music.

In 1964 a group of young Canadian musicians formed a group that went by the mild mannered name The Sparrows. Jump forward to Los Angeles, California, the year 1968. A couple of personel changes, and a very important name change later, and Steppenwolf was born.

Along with a handful of others, Steppenwolf helped spawn a newer, more raw sound. A sound later called Heavy Metal. Whatever you want to label them, Steppenwolf, with John Kay's distinctive vocals and the band's hard driving sound, was responsible for probably the most recognizable anthem of the times:

Steppenwolf in concert / Born to be Wild

The film Easy Rider became the defining film for a generation, and Born to be Wild is the song most closely associated with that film. And, by natural progression Steppenwolf became one of the defining elements of our society at that time.

Joni Mitchell's singing career began in small clubs in Toronto and Western Canada, where she’s from. Joni became well known during the 1960’s and later on she merged pop and jazz into her music. Mitchell is a Grammy award winning artist and successful record producer; she had a major influence on many artists of different decades and genres. She is known for being a talented musician and songwriter, and has her own unique style of guitar playing. Joni’s work has had both critical success and respect by fellow musicians. She was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1997 and her music continues to influence the music scene by many of today’s popular artists.

Alanis Morissette is a singer/songwriter/producer/actress. She conquered the world with the semi-angsty "Jagged Little Pill" in the mid-nineties, which begat the greatest spurned woman song ever, You Ougtta Know (according to me). Personally, I think the line, "Every time I scratch my nails down someone's back, I hope you feel it", is one of the most fantastic lyrics ever written. I also adore her because she portrayed a skeeball loving God in Kevin Smith's movie Dogma. She is hilariously funny, as evidenced by her remake of the Black Eyed Peas My Humps, which never fails to crack me up. In addition, she also appears to be the inspiration for Robin's Canadian 80s teen pop star days on TV's "How I Met Your Mother". Let's Go To The Mall

Rush: Too often made fun of, too often overlooked. THE power trio emerged from Canada to change the face of hard rock forever. Geddy Lee's ridiculously high shrieks and rollicking bass lines, Alex Lifeson's powerful guitar, and Neil Peart's legendary drums can be heard in rockers from Iron Maiden to the Raconteurs. From prog to metal to new wave, Rush has proven to be a versatile band who still remains true to their original spirit. They may not get the groupies, they may not do the drugs, but Rush is rock and roll at its purist, because Rush is about the music.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...