The Songfactors' Choice: Best Canadian Artists!

Lucky

Shawna, it just depends. If the bands' roots are in Canada, or the Canadian is one of the founding members or primary members, I'd probably say yes. Such as Steppenwolf.

Steppenwolf's roots are in Toronto, with more than Kay (of the original members when the band was the Sparrows) being Canadian born. I call them Canadian. And as such I'll snag them as one of my nominations. Unless you were taking them Shawna? I doubt it so.... :D

My Nominations:

Steppenwolf

April Wine

I'll do my posts later, k?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you got a 2 man group. So, half of the entire band is Canadian. I'm thinkin' they qualify. :D

They opened for the Stones at Soldier Field in Chicago .... that was one h*ll of a show, even with Jim standing in for John. :bow:

For my first nomination. Please allow me to tell you all about the best artist to come out of Canada!!!!

Mr. Gordon Lightfoot!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Gordonlightfoot.gif

Feel free to listen to the links as you read :D

I have been a Lightfoot fan from the first time I

heard him sing. He has one of the most distinctive,

beautiful, male voices I have ever heard.

Gordon Lightfoot's music career has spanned more than 40 years, producing more than 200 recordings.

Born in 1938 he is one of the best known Canadian singers to ever become popular in the U.S. As a singer-songwriter, he came to prominence in the 1960s, and broke through on the international music charts in the 1970s with songs such as If You Could Read My Mind (1970), Sundown (1974) and

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (1976). Just

to name a few.

In my opinion he has many, many more fantastic

songs that many here in the US, unless they are a

fan, have never heard of. Outside of Canada, he remained better known as a songwriter than as a performer.

When he first became known to me, I immediately went out and bought every album of his I could lay my hands on and continued to purchase his newer releases right up to "Endless Wire". That album was a bit of a disappointment to me but only because of the sound quality of the whole album. It sounded tinny to me. Maybe he tried out a different studio and the acoustics were bad.

I liked the music, and many of the songs on the album were excellent. I just didn't like the sound quality and never bought any of his albums after that so his newer stuff is pretty unknown to me.

His songs have been recorded by some of the world's most successful recording artists in the world.

As a teenager, Lightfoot learned piano and taught himself to play drums and percussion. Eventually he became largely self-taught in playing folk guitar.

Gordon Lightfoot has received fifteen Juno Awards and has been nominated for five Grammy Awards. In 1974, Lightfoot's song "Sundown" was named pop record of the year by the Music Operators of America. In 1980, he was named Canadian male recording artist of the decade for his work in the 1970s.

One of my very favorite albums of his is "Summer Side of Life" some of his best songs are on this album with Summer Side of Life being my favorite song from it.

Gordon Lightfoot is not only one of the best Canadian artists of all time but in my opinion he is also one of the best artists of all time in the world.

I could go on and on about this awesomely talented man but I'll stop now.

Links to some of my personal favorite songs from various albums.

Summer Side Of Life

Endless Wire

The Circle Is Small

Circle of Steel

The Watchman's Gone

Rainy Day People

And yes, I do have him on my PTT and, I dedicate

the song to all my SF friends under the age of forty. No, it's not listed here. I didn't wanna give anything away. :D

Edited by Guest
spacing

Has anyone suggested The Stampeders yet? Calgary boys were a one-hit wonder, to be sure, but what a hit! "Sweet City Woman" contains one of the all-time great uses of both banjo and cowbell, and it may be the only pop hit ever to mention macaroons. In any case, it's one of the great songs to do impromptu around a campfire with a bunch of friends.

I don't think I'm gonna nominate. I just can't really think of anything, my favourites have all been taken.

Maybe someone here could suggest something you might like. Most of the bands/people that have been nominated I had no idea were from Canada. I'm sure there's lots more we just don't realize it until someone mentions them :crazy:

I'll Google a bit and maybe come up with some suggestions. :D

Try looking here: Link

Edited by Guest
added a link

I've realized that I'm going to be short on time ... Originally I put myself down for Steppenwolf & April Wine. Since the nominations are thinning out, consider April Wine back in the pot.

That leaves my nom officially Steppenwolf only. If anyone wants April Wine, they are there for the taking! ;)

Laurie said she would have nominated him but he won one of our MoC... but maybe it doesn´t matter? :P

We would never have heard the end of it if he was left off the list. He has to be on it. IMHO if either Mr. Lightfoot or Mr. Young were left off we would have much more complaining then the last time. I know some people won't want to agree with this but they are the most popular (male) artists to come out of Canada.

We would have been very remiss to leave either of them off.

BTW if anyone would like a little graphic like I made for my Lightfoot post, I'd be happy to make you one :D