Fleet Foxes (stuck-in-the-60sers take note)

Levis

I heard of this band before I heard any of their songs. They're from Seattle, so naturally I expected another lot of post-grungeists - Nirvana, AIC, Pearl Jam, Candlebox cliche types.

I was so... very... wrong.

They've got this gentle, harmonic, folky sound. It reminds me of My Morning Jacket and someone described it as the Beach Boys meet CSN(Y?). Hence the shoutout to those with a taste for that sorta thing. I heard an interview with the lead singer where he mentioned that he grew up listening to soundtracks from musicals and that is perhaps where the very 'visual' lyrics come from.

Their sound is pleasant but not so easy on the ears that it becomes relegated to the background. You sit up and listen.

This was the first song of theirs I heard:

White Winter Hymnal (hey cool, the vid was only put up two days ago)

and this is Mykonos from their EP released a couple of months back.

Also their MySpace has some nice stuff for you to listen to :headphones:

Ok Missy, at first listen you've got me. I like both posted songs (a lot) so much that I'm going to look for more. They are harmonizing by golly! At the risk of being told I'm wrong by you youngin's, I find good harmony missing so often in newer music. That Beach Boys/CSN comparison is right on! :thumbsup:

That's a very good stance to have. The only one that really bothers me is the "I've been out of the loop for 30 years but instead of admitting it I'm going to pretend that nobody has made a good pop album since 1980" stance. (Not accusing you of having that stance, of course).

If you'd seen my Personal Top Ten list, I think you might see me as guilty of having that very stance. I think '81 was the most recent song there. ;)

I don't however. I'm not one to dismiss any music without listening to it. I may not hear a lot of newer stuff, because I have been out of the loop, and don't have the time or energy to listen to everything. When someone more knowledgable than I points me in the right direction however, and I hear something interesting, I'm the first to admit it!

Being quite "old" but very "young", I listen to everything from a song that was written in 1927 to the music played today and like a lot of it from all the years. Sometimes I have an issue with some of the lyrics but...I love The Foxes. They have a very special sound. Better than a lot that are coming out.

• 1 year later...