Deep Purple "Strange Kind Of Woman"

Nancy

In Rock And Roll and literature women called Nancy never seem to do very well, In the Leonard Cohen song she shoots herself (and sounds like a bit of a slag), in The Deep Purple song she's apparently a hooker and dies, and who could forget Nancy Spungeon's death. And in Literature she doesn't do much better, dying in a domestic murder near the end of "Oliver Twist".

Being called Nancy myself I'm morbidly fascinated by this and managed to find out today from this site if the Deep Purple song was a true story or not, and apparently it is thanks for clearing that one up for me. :D

I just wanted to know if anyone knows how the woman in "Strange Kind Of Woman" died, I know it was 3 days after she got married so presumably it was drug/drink/one hell of a party related but I can find no confirmation of that. Does anyone know?

Edited by Guest

Yes she's called Lil apparently, though why they all know her as Nancy is a mystery as the name is a variable of Anne or Anna and nothing to do with the name Lil. And if I recall correctly doesn't her boyfriend die? so still not exactly a happy ending.

There is a Fairport Convention (or it might be Fotheringay) song called "The Banks Of The Nile" with a Nancy who doesn't die, but her boyfriend has to go to war so he probably dies. :(

Isn't she meant to be the bar maid? I'll have to look it up now...

"His rival it seems had broken his dreams

By stealing the girl of his fancy

Her name was magil and she called herself lil

But everyone knew her as nancy

Now she and her man who called himself dan

Were in the next room at the hoe down

Rocky burst in and grinning a grin

He said danny boy this is a showdown

But daniel was hot - he drew first and shot

And rocky collapsed in the corner"

doesn't really infer much about what she is exactly, she must be a bit easy to get through all those blokes though. ;)

And I also notice at the end of the song it doesn't say he died they leave it open ended

"Now rocky raccoon he fell back in his room

Only to find gideons bible

Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt

To help with good rockys revival"

the word "revival" suggests he might have lived anyway.

"Now rocky raccoon he fell back in his room

Only to find gideons bible

Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt

To help with good rockys revival"

the word "revival" suggests he might have lived anyway.

A discussion I read suggests that that the Doc was right... "Rocky you've met your match," And RR does indeed die.

The Gideon's Bible, mentioned twice, suggests that this song has a strong Christian theme. The first time RR sees it, he's filled with anger and is planning to kill another person in an act of jealousy. Later, when RR find's Gideon's Bible again, he repents, and then is allowed spiritual revival/acceptance to heaven.

Interesting... I just discovered that Lennon plays bass and McCartney plays guitar on this song.

Bah... just another silly love song by Paul.

(sorry to hijack the thread)