Happy Birthday Ken

MuzikTyme

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fellow dive companion of mine with a closet-load more cash than I'll ever have called me tonight and gave me a one-of-a-kind birthday gift. A spot on a charter to find the wreck of the Hydrus, a ship lost in the Black Friday storm of 1913 and never found. The Canadian Navy has agreed to lend the expedition side-scan sonar. Second weekend in September and I am positively cranked.

Ken.

Ah in these waters it isn't the barnacles, it's the G.D. zebra mussels. A gift to us from ocean-going vessels dumping water-ballast in the Great Lakes. They cover every square inch of any wreck I've ever been on covering up fine detail. They are only as big as a thumbnail but there are trillions of them. They seem to not like brass for some reason. You get inside an engine room of a wreck and everything is clotted with them then you see these huge brass fittings gleaming like they day they were cast. Many a diver has brought down a paint scraper to remove the things from the name of a wreck. zebra20mussel1xt1.jpg this is a single one, this is what a shopping cart looks like covered with them.. photo405ij5.gif You can see what I mean...

Ah in these waters it isn't the barnacles, it's the G.D. zebra mussels. A gift to us from ocean-going vessels dumping water-ballast in the Great Lakes. They cover every square inch of any wreck I've ever been on covering up fine detail. They are only as big as a thumbnail but there are trillions of them. They seem to not like brass for some reason. You get inside an engine room of a wreck and everything is clotted with them then you see these huge brass fittings gleaming like they day they were cast. Many a diver has brought down a paint scraper to remove the things from the name of a wreck. zebra20mussel1xt1.jpg this is a single one, this is what a shopping cart looks like covered with them.. photo405ij5.gif You can see what I mean...

Fascinating Ken!! It's seem they DO like that cart!

I'm sorry I missed the festivities, my darling Ken. I love you mind, body and soul. Well, at least the body, anyway. :googly:

untitled139.png

hey, what about me TP? :cool:

It must have been one hell of a party, I can't even remember the type of lampshade I was wearing.

Why not? :grin: We can celebrate Ken's birthday right up until my birthday, unless someone else's falls in between. That means I have an excuse every day to eat cake with that really thick sweet buttercream frosting I love. Corner piece, please. :grin:

Lea, I will be taking loads of photos...

A former co-worker of mine died today, so yeah, every day above the grass is a reason for celebrating I guess. I'd pass away a happy guy after partying with my Songfacts family at Jimmy's Margaritaville... This place at times reminds me of Jimmy's song "Coconut Telegraph"

Tuesday on the island

Not much goin' on

The parties are all over

They ended just past dawn

But the jungle drums are beating

With the tales from late last night

Cause the stories bear repeating

For everyones delight

Chorus

You can hear it on the coconut telegraph

Can't keep nothin' under their hat

You can hear 'em on the coconut telegraph