"Phantom Limb" – 4:48

"Sea Legs" – 5:23

"Red Rabbits" – 4:33

"Turn on Me" – 3:41

"Black Wave" – 3:19

"Spilt Needles" – 3:46

"Girl Sailor" – 3:44

"A Comet Appears" – 3:49

This album is very good. The dreamy "Sleeping Lessons" kicks off the album. It starts with a sleepy Marimba riff, but by the end stars rocking out. Sweet song. I think it was used in a Zune commercial. Then the super-happy "Australia" starts. My second favorite song on the album! The words are amazing! "Faced with the dodo’s conundrum." I mean, what other band uses the words 'dodo' and 'conundrum' in the same line?

The stupid "Pam Berry" Follows, serving as an intro to "Phantom Limb." THAT is my favorite song on the album. The fuzz bass kicks off the track, followed directly by James Mercer's killer lyrics. Check out the music video. THE BEST SCHOOL PLAY EVER!! "Sea Legs" is an OK Pop Song, with a real cool intro with (I think) swords being sharpened and s geeky voice counting in. "Red Rabbits" is a very funny song with some crazy lyrics. ("We've p***ed off too many good intentions.") It's very weird. "Turn on Me" opens with a Killer Guitar riff and has some great hooks. "You had to know that I was found of you. Found of Y-O-U" Is my favorite hook in the song. The video's kinda weird, though. "Black Wave" is what's really weird. It opens up with some weird gorilla chant and is awkward to listen to. The great lyrics don't come in until you've already endured a whole minute of the chant. My least-favorite song on the album. "Split Needles" is a great song. The Album version is more Shins-esque, while the Alternate version (Found on the "Phantom Limb" single) is more typical of a normal alternative band. I like both versions, but the album one is better. "Girl Sailor" is another good song with some great lyrics. (You've won one too many fights, wearing many hats every time.") Not much too comment on, though. "A Comet Appears" is a good, slow song with a few odd lyrics. ("Let's carve my aging face off. Fetch us a knife, Start with my eyes.") It's a great song.

All in all, if you like alternative music, BUY THIS ALBUM! If you like catchy Pop songs, BUY THIS ALBUM! While this album has a few rough spots, it is still a must-own for Alternative fans. 8.5/10

"Phantom Limb." THAT is my favorite song on the album. The fuzz bass kicks off the track, followed directly by James Mercer's killer lyrics. Check out the music video. THE BEST SCHOOL PLAY EVER!!

watch it here

you know, for me The Shins were one of those bands that I knew by name, and maybe one or two of their songs ("Know Your Onion" in my case), but I never bothered to really check them out - maybe also because of not knowing where to start.

But reading a review like this, from a trustworthy source no less, can change that...

so, thank you jonny :bow: :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
typo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...