Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers Launch New Project

Viaene

Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers Launch New Project

Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith has joined the new "supergroup" started by former Van Halen frontman Sammy Hagar. The band, tentatively called Chickenfoot, also features ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony and guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani and will enter the studio to begin recording its debut album this summer. Smith told The Pulse of Radio he got involved in the project by owning a home near Hagar's place in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. "If you're in Cabo, of course you know Sammy 'cause he's, you know, he rules the joint," he said. "And he's a really nice man, he's a great guy actually. Somehow he's taken a liking to me, and we played in Vegas, and we played some cover songs — we're a good cover band now. He got pretty excited about it and it actually sounded really good. Him and Joe got together up at his place and they wrote like five things together, and we'll see."

Hagar himself spoke about the project in a recent interview, explaining, "We've written eight, nine songs...When people hear the music, it's Led Zeppelin. It's as good as that. I know that's a mighty bold statement...We could rival Zep."

Hagar sang with Van Halen from 1986 to 1996, and again on a 2004 reunion tour, but left both times after feuding with guitarist Eddie Van Halen. Hagar said recently about his relationship with the troubled guitar hero, "I love Eddie, but we don't love each other. I heard that he got cleaned up again. Hopefully he stays that way and doesn't die, because before we both die we have to be friends again."

Chad Smith has been playing with former Deep Purple bassist/singer Glenn Hughes as well as his own jazz combo since the Chili Peppers came off the road last year after touring in support of 2006's "Stadium Arcadium" CD.