Harvey Korman 1927 - 2008

Mike

Actor Harvey Korman dies at 81

Staff, Vancouver Sun

Published: Thursday, May 29, 2008

Harvey Korman, star of TV's 'The Carol Burnett Show' and the classic big screen comedy Blazing Saddles, has died at the age of 81.

Korman had been hospitalized four months ago with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

His daughter, Kate Korman, suggested it was a 'miracle' he survived at all considering the major operations that ensued.

Complications set in last week and he passed away Thursday.

Korman was born in Chicago in 1927. He spent thirteen years trying to get a job on Broadway before starting a nightclub comedy act with a friend. They were fired halfway through their first night.

He moved to California and sold cars for a further three years before landing a job on The Danny Kaye Show. When the show was cancelled he jumped to the Carol Burnett Show and spent a decade enjoying critical acclaim and audience praise. He also picked up four Emmy awards.

Korman's roles in films such as Blazing Saddles, High Anxiety, The History of the World Part I and a pair of Pink Panther movies cemented his place in Hollywood's comedic elite while turns in Gypsy, Huckleberry Finn and Bud and Lou brought his dramatic talents to the fore.

He is survived by his wife of 25 years and four children.

© Vancouver Sun

It's sad when great comedians pass on, this last week I was hard hit with both Dick Martin and Harvey Korman leaving us. But I also know from spending so much time watching them that they would want us to be joyous, not sad, appreciative for their great gifts of laughter to ease our stress in life. And to carry the torches they lit to future generations to show them what "real" comedy is and how is delivered!