Wonky Boards

Although Songfacts is a site we all trust, remember, in some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites.

If they do, you can still be at risk when visiting the site.

Hopefully Carl and the boys are hot on the bad guys tails.

Visual Interlude:

ghost1.jpg

That's why it is very important that you have the latest Windows updates (if you use Windows), as the updates include a removal tool for malicious code.

Also, it pays to have a good anti-virus program and malware program.

:thumbsup:

Or just get a Mac, like I did. That said, if you spend even one penny on an anti-virus or anti-malware program, you're a fool. There are plenty of really top-notch, completely free programs out there.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just get a Mac, like I did. That said, if you spend even one penny on an anti-virus or anti-malware program, you're a fool. There are plenty of really top-notch, completely free programs out there.

I always had Mac (we still have three or four) and now that I've been using a pc for more than a year, I am having less problems due to a good anti-virus and anti-malware.

I prefer PC.

Mac is very trendy but has its issues too. And even some sort of virus.

Yeah, lots of time under the hood this week. This was very tricky, but quite a learning experience for us. We found what went wrong and are keeping a close eye on things. Sorry for the interruption, and I appreciate everyone's patience. As Brad points out, anti-virus is always a good idea.

I always had Mac (we still have three or four) and now that I've been using a pc for more than a year, I am having less problems due to a good anti-virus and anti-malware.

I prefer PC.

Mac is very trendy but has its issues too. And even some sort of virus.

Small sample size of course, but I've been using Macs for years, and so has nearly everyone else I know, and none of us have had any kind of virus or malware issues. I have an anti-virus program on my computer (it's for Macs), and I run it every week, but it never finds anything. I recently got my parents to give up their PC and get a Mac, and they said they wished they did it earlier.

Like I said, it's a small sample size, but there's a much, much, much larger virus threat on PCs than on Macs, which is why when people complain about them, I always advocate them switching platforms.

I've been using Mac since the early days, in 1990. My husband is a designer so he and his friends and everybody aorund me (my musician friends also work with Mac)worked with mac. I have had all the models (except the iPhone) and I can tell I like Windows. Even if it's a copy of Mac OS. Yes, it's hard to catch a virus on mac. For the rest, I prefer PCs now, 22 years after... as long as you have a good protection.

• 4 weeks later...

Carl,

Can you have your computer expert guy check the site for intruders again?

Three times this morning (while logging in at 8:05 AM and then again while on the site at 9:09 AM and 10:11 AM) my Norton Anti-virus blocked a high risk intrusion attempt.

Thinking it might be a coincidence, I ran both a virus scan and a spyware/malware scan to check my computer and it came up clean.

Now, pages I am on in the message boards are showing at the bottom of the screen that redirecting is taking place to all kinds of product websites.

Some of the redirecting is showing:

clicks.bestgrabit.com

onlinedegrees

onlinedating

magazines

gifts

abilenetravelagent

insurance

autoloans

deals

vacations

etc. etc. etc.

It's doing it right now and it is slowing up what I am typing in the reply box.

It is not doing it when I visit any other sites besides Songfacts.

I'd hate to see a repeat of what happened recently when they got through the system here.

Thanks, Carl.

Edited by Guest
Added more info

Update:

After running both Norton Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and having both come up clean, I decided to run Spybot Search And Destroy.

It detected Fraud.Codec.x3 on my system.

It says that Fraud.Codec.x3 is a malware that pretends to be a revolutionary media codec. This fake codec is made to transport advertising only.

It removed it and now the redirecting has stopped. :)

I read somewhere that some programs for whatever reasons do not detect certain spyware or malware applications and that it is suggested to run more than one.

In this case, it is true.

I recommend Spybot Search And Destroy to anyone who is not using it in addition to your current scans. :thumbsup:

On another note, the boxes on the left side of the boards are shortened in width from what they normally are and the boxes on the right side of the page are stretched wider than what they normally are.

Any ideas what is causing this?

I remember once before this happened when someone used a very long word in the shout box, but there is no long word in there now.

I started smoking again because I couldn't get my SF fix for 2 days. Thanks in advance for all of the work you guys are putting into getting the boards back up and running!

Carl, Zhivko & any others I'm sure who are also working hard:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I started smoking again because I couldn't get my SF fix for 2 days. Thanks in advance for all of the work you guys are putting into getting the boards back up and running!

Carl, Zhivko & any others I'm sure who are also working hard:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Nothing is excuse to get back to this nasty thing!-- the smoking ;) Well.. except catching on fire.. But this is not the case!:badcomp:

Thank you so much, Carl and Zhivko, for keeping home safe and clean... :bow: :bow: :bow:

I want that greamlin!

This one? :badcomp:

I didn't realise we had a new graemlin... :)

Just put the : and then the badcomp and then the : again... :)

Edited by Guest

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=19459

Btw, I officially open the topic for suggestions for 10 new greamlins (smileys) that you want to add to these boards. You can post links here or create new topic just for it :)

You can go for personal ones too. Surely you have something that you would like to be identified with :P~