This Darkness Is My Solice

Red Fish

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what it's like to write something from the heart and have it torn into shreds by some unfeeling closed mind grammer and spelling freaks.....x

Steady on, there. "Torn into shreds"???

I am attentive to grammar and (to a lesser extent) spelling, because they matter; particularly in the context of "Creative Writing" and "constructive criticism". It is the case that a gifted writer with a true command of language may subvert the conventions of grammar and spelling- heck, even invent new words- for enhanced literary effect. However, this is vastly different from the commission of basic errors caused by lack of attention to detail / indiscipline. Whilst I, and others, may have pointed out your grammatical errors, I believe I have also been largely complimentary in my appraisal of your poetry. The problem is not the closed-mindedness of "grammar freaks", but "poets/writers" who are prepared to disrespect their own work by failing to attach any importance to detail, as if detail doesn't matter. It does: it makes all the difference. If you can't be bothered to respect your own work, why expect anyone else to?

The distinction between your poetry and Namahage's: You are a budding poet with good ideas and some flair for the execution of poetry, but who can benefit from some support with the "finer details" and other constructive advice. And you claim to "write from the heart". Namahage's verse is some perverse satire designed to illicit a reaction, for reasons best known to himself, of which we are the victims. He does not write from the heart, and honestly couldn't give a monkey's chuff whether we appreciate his poetry at all, therefore cannot/does not wish to benefit from any advice whatsoever.

Steady on, there. "Torn into shreds"???

I am attentive to grammar and (to a lesser extent) spelling, because they matter; particularly in the context of "Creative Writing" and "constructive criticism". It is the case that a gifted writer with a true command of language may subvert the conventions of grammar and spelling- heck, even invent new words- for enhanced literary effect. However, this is vastly different from the commission of basic errors caused by lack of attention to detail / indiscipline. Whilst I, and others, may have pointed out your grammatical errors, I believe I have also been largely complimentary in my appraisal of your poetry. The problem is not the closed-mindedness of "grammar freaks", but "poets/writers" who are prepared to disrespect their own work by failing to attach any importance to detail, as if detail doesn't matter. It does: it makes all the difference. If you can't be bothered to respect your own work, why expect anyone else to?

The distinction between your poetry and Namahage's: You are a budding poet with good ideas and some flair for the execution of poetry, but who can benefit from some support with the "finer details" and other constructive advice. And you claim to "write from the heart". Namahage's verse is some perverse satire designed to illicit a reaction, for reasons best known to himself, of which we are the victims. He does not write from the heart, and honestly couldn't give a monkey's chuff whether we appreciate his poetry at all, therefore cannot/does not wish to benefit from any advice whatsoever.

what the hell that crossed the line!!!!! you just discad it as some kind of joke or something and that really offens me!! yearh maybe youre all crazy about the english language and all this stuff and maybe you THINK you have a better grasp of it than other people but when all you do is scoff at MY poetry and act like i didnt put any sort of effort or heart into it at all it is not only insulting but it is hippocridical because you dont want to even be btohered to look at it because im already beneath you or some s***** maybe i would write better if you didnt act like trhings i write are ignoreable or some kind of personal amusement thing what is this part of the forum if not personal rollercoastering??? of course its for personal amusement but its also for personall bettering and wannting to know what people think (which you obviously dont even bother to do with mine because its beaneth you) but theres a paint where you can give a guy a break and not subplant all these inaccuratecies and assumptions to try to judge me (even thought ive never judged you) or take away from my (artistic) work

Punctuation and correct grammar are tenets to be adhered to by those that fancy themselves 'wordsmiths'. Good thing accomplished poets by way of e.e. cummings seldom abided by those those constraints or we'd not be blessed by their works.

True 'nuff, dat.

Then eat, guppy

SOLTICE

Eat this, Muzik : Checking again , it appears that you don't understand how to correctly read a dictionary entry . Rather than meaning 'stand ' , you'll note that it follows the Cf ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cf. - then click cf in this entry ) which is to trace a word's etymology - and is not used to define or even necessarily have a similarity with the word stand ( thus also listed are ecstasy , steed , obstinate , etc .) . Clearly , the word being defined on your page is stand and not soltice , though the layout of this page could , at first glance , understandably lead one to misinterpret it . However , this is clearly how it is listed in your evidence , is it not ?

Also , isn't it odd that none of the subsequent literary sources ( Chaucer , Dryden , etc .) use ' soltice/ soltyce etc. , but obviously use 'stand ', meaning that this is the word they are defining - and not soltice .

I still dispute that this word remains or ever was an English word , eventhough I previously gave you the benefit of the doubt that it may be Old or Middle English or even Anglo-Saxon. I checked with the Oxford English Dictionary which gives by far the most complete collection of the origins of nearly all words in the English language - both living and dead - as well as their evolution through time going back a thousand years in some cases . If you had a shred of a chance it would be here, but ... sorry , no dice , and it is considered by all as THE best authority in cases such as this . The chance that little and nearly unknown Dictionary.com are onto something the OED missed is rather miniscule - especially as they cite Webster's as their source and a subsequent search has Webster's claiming no knowledge of it .

If the OED has a fault , it is that it is slow to incorporate newer words in modern use , but that surely isn't a problem in this case .

I find my persistence in taking your bait more fascinating :/

Anyway (forgive me, B-F):

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/soltice

This is also very telling in that it is from the same makers of Dictionary.com . I really think it is a either a typo or something of that sort.

Try it yourself with this : http://www.etymonline.com/. It's interesting to find that 'stand' is relatively unchanged from it's Old English/ Germanic origins . This was fun . I haven't done such a search since college .

:)

:laughing: Good lord ! You'll never graduate before you're 40 or so then if I do as it took me a couple of hours to put one word to rest ... ;)

I just had to take a crack at it though , as the uncertainty bugged me whenever I looked at this thread . I tend to be rather unquestioning by nature when it comes to reference materials , just expecting/ hoping that they have been properly edited .

when all you do is scoff at MY poetry and act like i didnt put any sort of effort or heart into it at all it is not only insulting but it is hippocridical because you dont want to even be btohered to look at it

Excuse me, but let us not forget that this verse of yours sat unattended on the Creative Writing forum for eight whole days, before I not only "bothered to look at it" but also made a constructive comment toward its improvement. (I wouldn't normally bother commenting upon a trivial spelling error within the text, but this was in the poem's title). You immediately shoved my attempt to be helpful back in my face and turned it into a "butt out, foreigner" issue.

I dare say you put effort, heart, soul and attention to detail into the poetry you present here, but for me at least, the purity of your motivation is in doubt. If I thought you published your verse because you welcomed genuine appraisal and constructive comment, I would respond accordingly, but since you evidently don't, I won't. :D

As far as your allegations that I consider you beneath me: codswallop. You patronised me, I patronised you. I just did it better, that's all. ;)

Punctuation and correct grammar are tenets to be adhered to by those that fancy themselves 'wordsmiths'.
Not at all, but they do exist for a reason. Ever heard the "need to know the rules before you can break them" defence? One of my favourite books, "And The Ass Saw The Angel" by Nick Cave (one of the great wordsmiths of our generation), tends largely to dispense with the conventions of punctuation, grammar, etc. yet is awe-inspiring in the richness of its language.

Good thing accomplished poets by way of e.e. cummings seldom abided by those those constraints or we'd not be blessed by their works. True 'nuff, dat.

True 'nuff dat, indeed. As I said earlier:

a gifted writer with a true command of language may subvert the conventions of grammar and spelling- heck, even invent new words- for enhanced literary effect.

Well , if at first you were merely having a bit of fun making everyone crazy thinking it was a word , then good on you . However , if you stubbornly keep to it ( and we only have writing to go on here - no graemlins even ) then you are becoming a bit of a

twit by carrying it too far and insulting the intelligence of the other posters , likely unintentionally .

So , if anything was improved , hopefully it is the above lesson for you to consider next time .Everyone loves a joke and has a sense of humor around here , but if it all was a joke - you let it go to far ; if it wasn't, then ... in your face , and suck eggs . :laughing:

Careful, Nammy. He may demand an apology.

Why would I? He has neither said nor done anything I find personally offensive. Much of what is said around here, I take with a pinch of salt. The only time I have been deeply and personally offended, and felt I was owed an apology, was one occasion when I was likened to vermin and told I was universally despised. Then, to make matters worse, my blameless children (including one with a learning disability) were also referred to as vermin, and I was invited to consider how I feel when they are assessed and found to be inadequate.

Regrettably, the individual owing me the apology never had the decency to deliver, and presumably now thinks it a matter of some amusement.

Well , if at first you were merely having a bit of fun making everyone crazy thinking it was a word , then good on you . However , if you stubbornly keep to it ( and we only have writing to go on here - no graemlins even ) then you are becoming a bit of a

twit by carrying it too far and insulting the intelligence of the other posters , likely unintentionally .

So , if anything was improved , hopefully it is the above lesson for you to consider next time .Everyone loves a joke and has a sense of humor around here , but if it all was a joke - you let it go to far ; if it wasn't, then ... in your face , and suck eggs . :laughing:

Kevin, sorry that you called me a twit among other things. It's sometimes nice seeing someone proclaim nothing.

... read:' if you carried it to far ... likely unintentionally ' . How say you ?

You realize that people were being serious for a fair period of time , and for you not to let them off the hook ( if it was a joke ) , then I stand by it ( see your quote a few pages ago ) . If it wasn't , then you've been busted , and for carrying it too far you get some abuse- which is fair .

Which was it : were you joking or do you still 'stand by it' ? ( which at this point can only earn you the name 'twit ' , among other possibilities ) . Man ! You're ' oily ' if you think you can just take a dump on other members and then talk your way out as though it never happened , and what was all this fuss about anyway , etc .

Good gracious almighty!

If only this much energy was put to trying to improve something!

Oh my, what a better world it would be.

I'm not a professional interpreter nor mind reader , but I would say that the above sentiments seem to downplay the last 6 pages or so related to this as a ' fuss ' ... and it didn't even take any gall ! :D

I'm still waiting for my answer : was it a joke or no ?!?!?! I won't be diverted .

I've already answered that in previous postings. I regret that you couldn't derive a reasonable conclusion from the words I put forth to you.

Maybe, with sound advisement, go back and look for something wrong *again.

You'll find pretty much the same; nothing wrong!

So, what was the problem *again?

I'm suspicious. You still won't speak straight when it is required , and I noticed that while checking the ' online ' function that you were in edit mode ...

Is it too much to ask for a straight , normal answer - not something out of a fantasy novel ? Who are you - Gandolf The Grey ?