The Who?

Viaene

The search function makes it hard to find anything related to 'who'.

I don't know many songs but the ones I do know are really good & rockin' so I decided it's time to enlarge my musical knowlegde with some more 'The Who' (time to hit the 'add reply' button TheSeeker ;) )

What were their best songs, what should I listen to, is there a The Who playlist somewhere,..

I would apreciate your inputs :)

Fin's List will be the definitive list, but I like

Sally Simpson

I'm a Boy

Pictures of Lily

Behind Blue Eyes

Won't Get Fooled Again

Marianne With the Shaky Hand

The Kids Are Alright

Long Live Rock

Magic Bus

My Generation

and many more I'm sure many more Fin's list will no doubt cover. Oh, and Edna's suggestion of Tommy.

:grin:

Well, the first thing I'd recommend to everyone, Who fan or not, is Who's Next. If you don't mind spending some more money, get the deluxe edition -- there's nothing quite like the Who live and the second CD is a collection of live recordings from that era.

Now if you're more into rocking songs, I'd probably recommend Quadrophenia next, otherwise you can't go wrong with Tommy (my favourite), or By Numbers, but I think you really need to 'get' the band before you really appreciate that album.

It's easier to tell you what not to get :P Stay away from Face Dances, It's Hard and A Quick One for now, and Endless Wire forever.

I don't even know if you want to buy albums :grin: I don't know of a Who playlist online, apart from all the stuff that's on youtube... but if you want me to help you build your own, I'll be glad to help you out with some songs ;) Just ask.

Do you have any albums?

Fin's List will be the definitive list, but I like

Sally Simpson

I'm a Boy

Pictures of Lily

Behind Blue Eyes

Won't Get Fooled Again

Marianne With the Shaky Hand

The Kids Are Alright

Long Live Rock

Magic Bus

My Generation

and many more I'm sure many more Fin's list will no doubt cover. Oh, and Edna's suggestion of Tommy.

My list pretty much covers all 232 (I think) songs they've ever recorded :grin: (minus the two I've never managed to get hold of :puppyeyes: )

I have My Generation: The Very Best of the Who . The songs are pretty much their most well known and a good place to start.

1. I Can't Explain

2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere

3. My Generation

4. Substitute

5. I'm A Boy

6. Boris The Spider

7. Happy Jack

8. Pictures Of Lily

9. I Can See For Miles

10. Magic Bus

11. Pinball Wizard

12. The Seeker

13. Baba O'Riley

14. Won't Get Fooled Again (Full Length Version)

15. Let's See Action

16. 5.15

17. Join Together

18. Squeeze Box

19. Who Are You

20. You Better You Bet

and I left Baba O'Reilly off my original list :doh:

Their most famous songs:

I Can't Explain

I Can See For Miles

Happy Jack

My Generation

Pinball Wizard

Who Are You

Baba O'Riley

Won't Get Fooled Again

Behind Blue Eyes

Boris The Spider

You Better You Bet

Magic Bus

Their best songs:

Slip Kid

The Seeker (of course)

The Real Me

Won't Get Fooled Again

Baba O'Riley

Pinball Wizard

Dr. Jimmy

A Quick One (While He's Away)

Trick Of The Light

5:15

The Quiet One

Sally Simpson

Join Together

Love Reign O'er Me

Had Enough

Naked Eye

Sister Disco

Pure And Easy

How Many Friends

Substitute

Another Tricky Day

The Kids Are Alright

Sensation

Eminence Front

I'm A Boy

Pictures of Lily

There's many more of both, but I'm tapped out at the moment. Plain and simple....THE WHO RULES!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Fin, did you ever see the special a few months back (I think it was VH1) about the Who? It was something like 2 hours long, without commercials, and was really good, informative, I learned so so so much about the Who that caused me to respect them as people and artists, even though I might not love their music much...

Hey! :shades:

I guess he wasn't particularly involved in the creative process, but he was pretty much the one who kept the band together, particularly in the early days. A lot of the time he may just seem like a pretty toy, but they'd still be nowhere near where they are today without them. Same goes for all four of them of course.

;)

...he must be making the list... :P

Edna, I only just saw your posts :grin:

Anyway... everyone's making lists, and that might be more useful when you're the downloading kind, so...

Sammy's list is great too, and here's my list for rocking songs (seems to be what you're looking for :) ), other than the obvious like Won't Get Fooled Again etc:

5:15

Bargain

Doctor Jimmy

Dreaming From The Waist

I Don't Even Know Myself

In A Hand Or A Face

I've Known No War

Join Together

My Wife

New Song

Long Live Rock

Put The Money Down

Shakin' All Over

Slip Kid

The Punk and the Godfather

The Real Me

The Relay

The Seeker

Trick of the Light

Young Man Blues

Water

tHERE IS ALSO A DVD OUT THAT WAS MADE BY THE BBC ABOUT THE MAKING OF "wHOS nEXT" THAT WAS QUITE GOOD. aS FOR FAVORITE wHO SONGS, i HAVE SO MANY, BUT ONE OF THE ONES AT THE TOP THAT HAS NOT BEEN MENTIONED IS "a qUICK oNE." lET ME QUALIFY THIS WITH IT HAS TO BE THE LIVE VERSION THAT WAS RECORDED AT THE rOLLING sTONES rOCK aND rOLL cIRCUS AND SHOWS UP ON "tHE kIDS aRE aLRIGHT." iT IS tHE wHO AT THEIR TIGHTEST MUSICALY, AS THEY HAD JUST COME OFF OF TOUR. eNJOY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQW9dCkjQ3k

ps, i WANT TO GROW MY HAIR LIKE jOHN'S! =:P