Mothers in Music

Carl

In honor of Mother's Day, I'm hoping we can create a list of famous mothers in music. The criteria:

Fame (up to 5 points)

Motherhood (2 points per child)

Parental involvement (up to 10 points)

So, Madonna, with 3 kids, would get 5 fame points, 6 kid points, and maybe 3 for involvement, as she's sometimes seen with her kids but has lots of nanny support. Total = 14

Lori McKenna, with 5 kids who she has to tend, gets 1 for fame, 10 for kids and 9 for involvement - total = 20

Let's try to pick the top moms.

The first that came to mind was Loretta Lynn

A career spanning more than 40 years - 5 points

4 children before the age of 18, and a couple more thrown in for good measure (total of 6) - 12 points

Parental involvement, no nanny support (or amy other support, for that matter) - 10 points

total 27 points

I got all excited cause I thought it was mothers mentioned in songs and I was gonna say mama pajama.

Carly Simon

Fame 5 points, she's been around a long time and used to sing with her sisters before her solo career, and the father of her kids is James Taylor

Motherhood 4 points, 2 kids Ben (he's cute) and Sally.

Parental Involvement 8 points both children are adults, but both are musicians and mother and children contribute to each others' work

Total 16 Points

Kate McCarrigle

Fame 3 points-not very well known out side of Canada, was married to Loudon Wainwright who had a hit with "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road"

Motherhood 4 points, 2 kids-Martha Wainwright and beautiful beautiful Rufus Wainwright

Parental Involvement 8 points both children are adults, but both are musicians and mother and children contribute to each others' work

Total 13 Points

Martina McBride. Fame: 5

Kids: 3 kids x 2 each = 6

The McBrides have three daughters: Delaney Katharine (Born December 22, 1994), Emma Justine (Born March 29, 1998), and Ava Rose Kathleen (born June 20, 2005).[17] While on tour her children go with her. She schedules her tour around their school schedule. "I want to be able to raise my kids in a way that’s sane and normal. That’s my priority. And as long as I have that, whatever else I accomplish is icing on the cake.â€

Parental Involvement: 10.

Total: 21 She's awesome.

Fame-5 points-she's the Queen of Soul, Grammy's most second honored female performer (Alison Krauss is first*)

Motherhood-8 points-four sons, gave birth to the first two when she was 13 and 15 respectively

Parental involvement-8 points-raised four sons, two of whom are in the music business

Total-21 points

(*has no real relevance, I just found it interesting)

Tina Turner

Fame-5 points-If you don't respect Tina, you don't respect nothin'

Motherhood-8 points-raised four sons— Ike Jr. and Michael (from Ike's previous relationship), Craig (born 1960, from her earlier relationship with Raymond Hill, a saxophone player in Ike's band) and Ronald (son of Ike and Tina; born 1961)

Parental involvement-gagillions of points-stayed with abusive, controlling Ike to give the boys as much of a good home as she could

Total-5 + 8 + 10 (should be a gagillion) = 23 points

Edited by Guest

June Carter Cash = 20 points

4 points for fame.

6 points for 3 kids (Carlene Carter, Rosey Adams, John Carter Cash)

10 points for parental involvement, because I think she was a good mom, and I imagine they didn't go the nanny route.

Sarah McLachlan = 13 points

5 points for fame.

2 points for one kid.

6 for parental involvement, because I have no idea...