Best all around album all-time

Danielj

I didn't say they influenced the music solely,

Yes, you did. Read back the post I quoted you on back there.

... but I would bet my money that they had more of an influence than any one of the bands you mentioned.

I wouldn't bet a dime with you unless you're David Sylvian, Philip Oakey, or Midge Ure...

Maybe not a direct influence, but they definitely carved out what lied ahead. I mean 1972. That beats all everything you said, because not only was DSoTM early,

What are you talkin' about? Kraftwerk and The Velvet Underground are their contemporaries. Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire came a couple of years after 1972 (around 1974-1975) and early enough to be heard by 80s Futurists.

It was never weak or boring, and had a ton of cool effects and futuristic sounds all the way through.

Same with the bands I mentioned.

If someone announces they hate Pink Floyd, I will lose all musical respect for them. So far, I have not seen a better band come along than Pink Floyd.

Losing respect on the internet is really nothing lost. I can say "I hate Pink Floyd" 'til my heart's content just for that. Although I don't, really, 'cause I like some of their tunes. I truly don't think they are all that and with all these accolades given I'm thinking they are ghastly over-rated.

All that early Punk, like the Sex Pistols. Sure, it was innovative and fresh, I wouldn't even really call it that innovative.

Come again :headphones: There's a measuring stick for how innovative something is? Who's in charge of keeping measurements right? This means Pink Floyd totally lost its charm for you after The Wall, if innovation is what you're looking for.

But, the nature of the genre isn't very deep, and it can't match up lyrically or musically to anything Pink Floyd has done, with the exception of Bring The Boys Back Home.

Again, we're measuring things waaay too subjectively. "Deep"? Well, shoot. Bob Dylan was deep too - deeper than Pink Floyd at times, even - and he sucked.

The greatest album ever made, from first song to last, is "Sticky Fingers" by the Stones. It's a fabulous mixture of hard rock, blues, R&B, with great guitar riffs and superb musicianship. The run of amazing Stones' albums from "Beggars Banquet" (1968) through "Some Girls" (1978) truly solidified their claim as the World's Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Band. I know of no other band that had such a long run of entirely great albums where nearly every song was a classic. In my book, this puts them #1 with no equal.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: