looking for a song with indian music influences

Jona

Hi.

I'm new to this and I hope someone can help me here. I was at a party just recently and the DJ played this certain song. Well, it's not actually a song because there is no one singing. It is more of a dance track with indian instruments. Very groovy, really makes you want to move your head to the beat. This indian stringed instrument, I don't know what it's called (Sitar maybe??), is very prominent in there. That track is very cool so i think people must know it. It could very wwell be from some movie also. So does anybody know what the hell I am talking about?

Marc, as soon as I saw this thread I thought of Beatles songs. They spent alot of time in India with the Dalai Lama and became quite friendly with Ravi Shankar, especially John. As you know, Ravi Shankar is known as one of the greatest sitar players of his time.

With that said, I would include Across The Universe as another Beatles song with an Indian flair. The chorus of the song is what I believe to be Indian. I may be wrong so can anyone confirm if it is or isn't?

Jimmy, I was going to include Across The Universe, but I got stuck on going with the sitar thing.

I think it was the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the transendental meditation guy, that The Beatles hung out with. You know...The wave is the ocean and the ocean is the wave....I feel enlightend already!

Hi.

First of, thanks all for trying.

Unfortunately, the track I'm looking for is not by the beatles, it's too new. Also it's, as I mentioned a dance track with little or no singing involved.

Punjabi MC, however, is much more possible although it is not the Knight Rider Mix since there is as mentioned no singing.

Kate1969, since you are a big fan of Punjabi MC as you say maybe you can tell if one of his songs fits my description. That would be great!

Unfortunatley Jona, I'm unaware of any of Punjabi's songs that don't have any sort of lyrics in them, but in alot of clubs the DJ's remix his stuff and just use the dance track, so that could have been what you heard. But you should definitly give him a listen even if it's not the song your looking for. Sorry I couldnt be more of a help!

Wow, that's a tough request 'cause it could be anything added to a DJ mix. The first thing that came to mind was a CD soundtrack called Bombay The Hard Way: Guns, Cars, And Sitars and Electric Vindaloo. There's two volumes of it from - I think - Motel Records. These two albums are jam-packed with all kinds of weird Indian music ::

Yep, there are alot Punjab and Indian music that they mix with Rap today, take Punjabi MC and Jay-Z's "Beware", where they took the ever popular Mundian Bach Ke and had Jay-Z write his own lyrics. Also with Eminem and a few other unknown rappers.

Punjabi MC is a band founded by Rajinder Rai (a DJ). They fuse bhangra with the latest music. It's really popular in clubs.