Levis

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Two VERY different local (Hawaii) releases:

"Different Game" - Makana

(GraceNote classifies it as "Rock," though it's a collection of questions-in-song-about-Life/Love/Death Pop.)

"An Island" - Ed Kenney

(An obscure 1977 mix of commercial Pop, Folk, and local concerns in song. Eaton "Bob" Magoon writes about "Talk Story," and the notorious "Hula's Bar & Lei Stand."

"The Tall Ships" is about more than sailing vessels in a "Wooden Ships" kind of way.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a bit of a spending spree recently.

Within the 4 weeks, I've bought:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "It's Blitz" (technically, this was a gift for Mrs Fitter)

Slint - "Tweez"

I Ludicrous - "20 Years In Showbusiness" (2CD anthology)

The Broken Family Band - "Please And Thank You"

The Broken Family Band - "The King Will Build A Disco"

Rolo Tomassi - "Hysterics"

There might be others I've forgotten. :blush: :)

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "It's Blitz" (technically, this was a gift for Mrs Fitter)

I've heard mixed opinions about this...

from "best record of the year" to "oh my god, they sound like Madonna! :shocked: :crazy: "

what do you think of it? :)

I haven't listened to it closely enough to reach any conclusion. Too many other things taking priority. Which might say something about it, (the album), since I've been keenly looking forward to its release for ages. "Show Yer Bones" didn't grab me straightaway, but grew to become one of my favourite rock albums of recent years, so any perceptible lack of enthusiasm for the new one may not ultimately mean much. I find it hard to get worked up into a lather by the prospect of the heralded new "synth-orientated" direction, though. "Show Yer Bones" is such a great album, perfectly positioned at the cusp of rock, pop, and arty post-punk; I thought they have the potential to become "the new Blondie", but now I'm less sure.