What's the last CD you bought/got?

Levis

On saturday, whilst down in London, I popped into Rough Trade just off Portobello Rd and purchased the latest Rudimentary Peni offering, "No More Pain": 20 minutes of unremitting bleakness to a backdrop of blistering punk rock, culminating in an unconventional rendition of Pachelbel's Canon in E. Top stuff.

Then on Wednesday night I went to see Amanda Palmer (of The Dresden Dolls) who is touring to promote her new solo album "Who Killed Amanda Palmer?"Produced by Ben Folds and featuring his musical contribution on some tracks - as well as an unexpected guest appearance from East Bay Ray (from The Dead Kennedys)- this is a really cracking album, revealing Palmer as a song writer and performer of flair, wit and ingenuity. Intense, impassioned and enthralling one moment, gloriously, insanely jaunty the next: some damned fine songs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I'd gone to this record shop a couple of months ago and seen a certain CD in there for a fantastic price. However I had no moneys on me and there was no ATM nearby and the price was too fantastic to pay using a debit card. I figured I'd hold off till I visited that street again a couple of days later, because who else could possibly want that CD? :smirk:

Two days later I showed up and asked the fellow if he had it. He did not! :o I left the store CD-less :(

Today, I just had the feeling I should pay the place a visit. It's nice and cool and friendly. I walked in and the fellow remembered me, remembered the CD and fished it out for moi - it hadn't gone anywhere at all. It'd just got lost in the shuffle. :D

Now I finally have God Shuffled His Feet by the Crash Test Dummies! :happybanana:

As a thank you (and because I found it), I got another CD as well - His n' Hers by Pulp. Also a bargain price, but not quite as bargainy. :cool:

And a 2006 issue of Q magazine just to round off the bill - it was only 2$. :)

I have had a great week for picking up bargains.

At the weekend, in a local charity shop, I chanced upon:

"Dub Me Crazy Pt.3 - The African Connection" by Mad Professor, for a measly £2

"The Back Room" - The Editors, only £1.

I was well chuffed.

Then on Wednesday, in a different local charity shop, I picked up another two albums on CD, again for the combined sum of £3

"Fat Axl" - Silverfish

"Upwind of Disaster, Downwind of Atonement" - The Walking Seeds

Both of these bands were contemporaries of my own band in the UK "confrontational indie-noise" scene of the late 80s / early 90s. In fact, one of Silverfish once enthused wildly about my band's album whilst in the company of a mutual friend, which was nice. My way of showing gratitude was to wait 18 years before purchasing his band's album in a charity shop, for a pittance. Silverfish vocalist Lesley Rankine went on to front the more successful and infinitely more listenable indie trip-hop outfit, Ruby.

We once did a gig in Manchester supporting The Walking Seeds, but I don't recall them being remotely friendly towards us. This album was recorded in New York, with the "legendary" producer Kramer at the controls.

Then today, in another local charity shop- would you believe it- I got The Muppet Show album on vinyl, for a mere 25 pence!!! (That's less than the cost of one cigarette. You could pay more just to use a public convenience.)

I'm really looking forward to listening to Kermit's rendition of "Lydia The Tattooed Lady" again, after all these years :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today's charity shop bargain: Ben Folds Five - "Whatever And Ever Amen"

Lately, I've been wondering whether I would like Ben Folds: I've heard very little by him. But he's done an excellent job of producing Amanda Palmer's recent solo album, and she spoke very highly of him, when I saw her recently. So when I saw this album for £3, I thought I'd take a chance on it. On returning to the office, I've checked out its Amazon reviews and it musters 4.5 stars across 30 customer reviews, which is some going. A surprising number of reviewers ranked this in their "top albums of all time". Despite its lack of guitars and some worrying comparisons with Billy Joel, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Since then, I have bought:

Benefit - Jethro Tull

Brain Salad Surgery - ELP

Octopus - Gentle Giant

Crime Of The Century - Supertramp

One can never have too much prog. :rockon: :bow:

I don't have the Tull, but I have the other three.

BSS was one of my first prog albums, it has some great songs. As always with ELP, though, inconsistent- I'm not too keen on Benny the Bouncer. Karn Evil 9 is pure, raw energy, and the second part (Emerson's solo) is amazing.

Octopus is kickass. So perfectly orchestrated, all the parts go together well.

Crime Of The Century - Supertramp

I have had many Gentle Giant and ELP cds but I never liked Supertramp... except for some tracks you could find on "Crime Of The Century" -some from "Crisis... What crisis?" and "Even In The Quietest Moments" were not bad either... )