The strangest place you've ever been

Mike

In 1987 I went to Canada with my girlfriend, New Westminster, BC. We stopped in an icecream shop, and everyone was staring at her, I guess it's because she was wearing a tight short skirt, I don't know. But it felt very strange to be under a microscope like that, they were looking at both of us like we were foreigners, of course we were, but how did they know to look at us?

Then later in the evening I ventured out to the mini-mart next to the hotel, brought few items from the shelves and approached the register, gave the guy a 50 dollar bill and he examined it closely, said he couldn't take it, I said why? He said he didn't know if it was real. I said it was. He called a co-worker from the back room, together they examined the bill, asked me how they could trust me it was real. I started pointing out the red and blue fibers in the paper, the intricate details, the eyes of the portrait, they seemed to become more skeptical, finally I said, "look, just forget it" and turned to leave, they said "ok, ok" and finally conceded to the exchange. I'm the one who got stuck with Canadian money for change, I was so tempted to examine the change and ask them how I was to be certain IT was real! Sheesh!

Undoubtedly the strangest place I've ever been!

Your turn.

The Nut Museum in Old Lyme, Connecticut.

Mere words cannot describe the insanity that was the Nut Museum. It was in a dilapidated old Scooby Doo mansion and was run by the craziest old lady I have ever met in my life. I feared for my very soul the whole time we were in that house. The old lady had taken to ripping out her couch cushions and making soft nut sculptures out of them. She was a minor celebrity on the talk show circuit back in the day and she forced us to watch tapes of her on The Tonight Show and The Howie Mandel Show. I ran for the car on the way out and never looked back. Surreal stuff, kids.

The Nut Lady and Johnny Carson

In 1987 I went to Canada with my girlfriend, New Westminster, BC. We stopped in an icecream shop, and everyone was staring at her, I guess it's because she was wearing a tight short skirt, I don't know. But it felt very strange to be under a microscope like that, they were looking at both of us like we were foreigners, of course we were, but how did they know to look at us?

Then later in the evening I ventured out to the mini-mart next to the hotel, brought few items from the shelves and approached the register, gave the guy a 50 dollar bill and he examined it closely, said he couldn't take it, I said why? He said he didn't know if it was real. I said it was. He called a co-worker from the back room, together they examined the bill, asked me how they could trust me it was real. I started pointing out the red and blue fibers in the paper, the intricate details, the eyes of the portrait, they seemed to become more skeptical, finally I said, "look, just forget it" and turned to leave, they said "ok, ok" and finally conceded to the exchange. I'm the one who got stuck with Canadian money for change, I was so tempted to examine the change and ask them how I was to be certain IT was real! Sheesh!

Undoubtedly the strangest place I've ever been!

Your turn.

Ouch.

That's about an hour from where I live.

and anyways, our money makes way more sense than yours. I always get mixed up with the bills all the same colour.

Bisbee, Arizona, is a quaint little mining town that hasn't changed a bit since the 1800s. The roads are all itty-bitty, they wind around and go up and down monstrous hills. And the houses and hotels, businesses, etc. are all perched on top of hills and on top of each other.

When you live in a sprawling suburbia, like I do, a town like that is rather odd.

For having some exposed skin? (he-he)

How'd you get out alive?

One of my friends had dope in his bags. I convinced the big boss that we didn´t know bleep about that (which was actually true), the chief police said I was very polite and nice and he believed me :P :P :P :P so the only one who remained in prison was the guy who had the dope in his bag.

The fact that I was French and just 18 helped too.

Yes, I was extremely lucky.

And yes, I also had some exposed skin :laughing:...but I think that helped too.

but... wow! :P

One of my friends had dope in his bags. I convinced the big boss that we didn´t know bleep about that (which was actually true), the chief police said I was very polite and nice and he believed me :P :P :P :P so the only one who remained in prison was the guy who had the dope in his bag.

The fact that I was French and just 18 helped too.

Yes, I was extremely lucky.

And yes, I also had some exposed skin :laughing:...but I think that helped too.

but... wow! :P

Yes, I'm sure being French (not American) helps.

One of the strangest places I used to frequent were the peaks and hanging valleys of mountain ranges in Western Montana, Northern Idaho and Eastern Washington. It's another world at the top of a mountain.

We used to go the last 2 weeks of July every year, when spring turned to summer up in the higher elevations of the Cabinet Mountains in Western Montana.

285466.jpg

("A" Peak) Cabinet Mountain Wilderness

At the time we lived on 20 acres up in Eastern Washington and would plan our trip over the long snowy winter. We used the topo map as a guide and loved to bushwack off the trails to get from one peak or meadow to another.

311735.jpg

(Snowshoe Peak from "A" Peak - Elevation 8700 feet and 8600 feet)

One time the wind was howling at 50 mph and we had to crawl on our bellies to get a view of a 3000 foot drop off of one side of a mountaintop.