The Personal Top Tens

Hola SF folks,

We've been given a brilliant idea. Perhaps the name of this thread is a clue as to what this idea is. If not, here are the details:

Personal Top Tens will be based on a list of songs submitted by one regular SFer. This list can be compiled by the SFer on their own or the TTT (Top Ten Team) can pick out their last fifty unique nominations in the regular tens. Then the rest of us put the songs to a vote and at the end of it what do we have? [hint: title of thread]

Brilliant idea, no? You can thank S2V for bringing it up :D

Now then - who all are willing to take part? We'll make a list and randomly draw one person's name each time. By 'randomly' I do mean randomly - making use of a table of random numbers etc. I didn't do statistics in college for nothing. :beatnik:

Take the Personal Tens as a kind of Special Top Ten. I say we alternate between the two. Suggestions to improve the concept are welcome. Who's in? :)

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in. Even if I don't totally understand. It's early yet and I'm not quite awake.

everyone will get thrown into a pot, one (at a time) will get randomely picked, and everybody (else?) will then vote for the songs this person nominated in the normal Top Tens :)

Surely, for those of us that only make it into the top 10 very rarely, it stands to reason that those tracks that did make the Ten are the most popular tracks we've nominated?

Contrariwise, some people who score Top-Tenners with alarming frequency (sometimes by dint of repeatedly moninating the world's most famous and popular artists) will present a long list of nominations that I won't give a tupenny-toss about. I may not take part those weeks. ;)

I'm not sure I get the concept: need a bit more clarification of how it'll work.

Surely, for those of us that only make it into the top 10 very rarely, it stands to reason that those tracks that did make the Ten are the most popular tracks we've nominated?

What I mean is: wouldn't you get the same outcome by simply publishing a list of our Ten highest point-scorers?

On that basis, the rather tawdry "9 to 5 (Morning Train)" risks being in my Top Ten, rather than the sublime "Time the Revelator" by Gillian Welch (which failed miserably to impress the SongFacts clientele, despite being by some stretch the classiest number I ever nominated). In that instance, I want no part of this Satanic scheme. :o:P

What I mean is: wouldn't you get the same outcome by simply publishing a list of our Ten highest point-scorers?

On that basis, the rather tawdry "9 to 5 (Morning Train)" risks being in my Top Ten, rather than the sublime "Time the Revelator" by Gillian Welch (which failed miserably to impress the SongFacts clientele, despite being by some stretch the classiest number I ever nominated). In that instance, I want no part of this Satanic scheme. :o:P

that's why YOU can compile a list of, say, 50 of your nominations, just to make sure that only the (in your opinion) best ones can get voted for ;)