Jesus Christ

Mike

I was raised and taught about this man who lived on earth for about 36 years. But I really didn't get really reading about Him until I was about 20, in fact it was 25 years ago and in late April of 1983 that I really had an ... I guess you would call it, and "awakening". Now let me just make this clear, this is not about a religious discussion. This is about the man. Sure, I believe Him to be more than just a man, but that not what this post is about. This is not to initiate a religious discussion, I'm not interested in that. I'm not interested in discussing the "spirituality" aspect surrounding the man in this post. Just the Mans teachings and His philosophy for life.

I always found it interesting for example that His teachings always seems contrast the selfish and the church elders. According to writings, His overall demeaner was very peacful, spreading a message of joy and happiness with the simple things in life, giving without regard to receiving, turning the other cheek, making friends of enemies, and such. Of these things I read about the Man, I have found it increasing mysterious the hostilities that have been hurled against this historical figure. Certainly the people in our day and age have nothing personal against this man, yet it would they do based on the "reaction" of the mention of His name.

What are your thoughts on the Man known as Jesus Christ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are mainly this:

Read Jesus's words from his Sermon On The Mount.

This sermon was delivered when he had his largest audience. He had several days to prepare for what he would say. It stands to reason that this would be his strongest message to the masses. He'd have made sure of that. What he delivered was a message of love and peace. A message of "do unto others...etc., etc." A beautiful message that all human beings who followed his words could live under.

Seems to me that, "spiritually" or otherwise, Christians would base their faith upon that. Yet, most Christian based religions follow the interpretation of Paul (Saul), a man who had never even met Jesus, or the writings of those who lived a hundred years after Jesus had walked the earth.

Thus we end up with houses of worship, priests, absolutions, holy rites and secret handshakes when all we have to do is follow his Sermon.

Too simple for men who would be kings? I think perhaps this is so.

Jesus above all else was a great teacher. Let's just listen to him. Not all of those self-chosen spin doctors.

That's my main thought on Jesus Christ.

Pictures depicted him as being beautiful.

What's wrong with that?

Even if it ain't true, what matters is billions believe it is!

On a secondary note, everything, you, me, the birds, the flowers, the trees, the sands, the tides, the emotions we try to hide, and, the universe as we know it:

Popped out . . . out of nowhere!!!~

That, my friends, is the:

Biggest faery-tale!

Choices...

Which, though?

Another thing, He was a uniter of men by His ways, teaching, examples. Think of the crowds that assembled around Him. Many people suffered grizzly deaths to defend Him,even after He was no longer walking among them. Then consider that He has maintained an enormous following over the course of the last 2000 years. Amazing, really. I have the utmost admiration and respect for Jesus.

I think he was an interesting, narrative and maybe manipulative person. Alot of people found truth in his philosophy of doing good to your nearest and dearest even if it was forbidden by the jewish law.

But eventually he would have been forgotten if it hadn't been for that conference 200 years after his death. There he was declared messiah & saint and there the catholic church found his mighty roots.

just an additive question: is a discussion about religion allowed on these forum? (many forums don't allow it)

just an additive question: is a discussion about religion allowed on these forum? (many forums don't allow it)

Of course it is, but remember, respect of others and understanding differences in opinion are honored here. Emotions run deep in this subject.

I feel religion and thoughts about Jesus are personal and not appropriate for a message board site. I was quite surprised to see this as a topic. Relition and spirituality are things most hold dearly and with an open discussion as this, you risk people maybe getting a bit over opinionated. I hope this thread doesn't take a bad turn.

So let's get this on a more Songfacts-appropriate track:

Popular songs about or mentioning Jesus:

The Ballad of John and Yoko-Beatles

Mrs. Robinson-Simon & Garfunkel

Stoney End-Barbra Streisand

I Don't Know How to Love Him-Yvonne Elliman

Jesus Christ Superstar-Murray Head

Personal Jesus-Depeche Mode

Jesus Is Just Alright-Doobie Brothers

Levon-Elton John

Spirit in the Sky-Norman Greenbaum

Hair-Cowsills

Oh Happy Day-Edwin Hawkins Singers

Fire and Rain-James Taylor

Everything Is Beautiful-Ray Stevens

Small Town-John Mellencamp

ROCK in the USA-John Mellencamp

Sympathy for the Devil-Rolling Stones

Building a Mystery-Sarah McLachlan

Convoy-CW McCall

Lawyers in Love-Jackson Browne

Why Me-Kris Kristofferson

Hymn 43-Jethro Tull

One Toke over the Line-Brewer and Shipley

Jesus Take the Wheel-Carrie Underwood

Love spreads her arms, waits there for the nails

I forgive you, boy, I will prevail

Too much to take, some cross to bear

I'm hiding in the trees with a picnic, she's over there, yeah

Yeah,yeah,yeah

Yeah,yeah,yeah

She didn't scream, she didn't make a sound

I forgive you boy, but don't leave town

Cold black skin, naked in the rain

Hammer flash in the lightning, they're hurting her again

Let me put you in the picture, let me show you what I mean

The messiah is my sister, ain't no king man, she's my queen

I have a dream, I've seen the light

Don't put it out, say she's alright, yeah, she's my sister

She didn't scream, she didn't make a sound

I forgive you boy, but don't leave town

Cold black skin, naked in the rain

Hammer flash in the lightning, they're hurting her again

Oh, oh, ooh

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Let me put you in the picture, let me show you what I mean

The messiah is my sister, ain't no king man, she's my queen

I have a dream, I've seen the light

Don't put it out, say she's alright, yeah, she's my sister

Mike (Mickey) made it clear in his opening statement that he was not looking at this as a religious discussion. But rather thoughts on the historical man. If we had a discussion of the man John Lennon, I doubt anyone would object.

Except maybe Jesus. ;)

I'm well aware of what was stated in the opening statement, I read quite well, thank you. But it would be quite easy for this topic to take a turn where people get very passionate and opinionated. As for John Lennon, of course a discussion about him would be welcome, this is a music site afterall. :)

So let's get this on a more Songfacts-appropriate track:

Popular songs about or mentioning Jesus:

Great idea! :coolio:

36? I´m not Christian but one of the things I know about him is that he died at 33... :P

Yeah, sort of debatable, I've read everything from 4-2 BC until 32-35 AD, It's really not important though. I think the average normal lifespan during that time period was like 50.