Spring cleaning...

Ombre Vivante

I used to say this in gest - that I had an obsessive-compulsive personality. It wasn't until I read this article yesterday that it only confirmed that, although undiagnosed by a professional, I probably have a bit of ocd.

http://www.ocfoundation.org/1005/m140a_001.htm

As soon as I read that, I raced back to my place and flattened all the original boxes my electronics came in and put them in the recycle bin. I probably spent a good two hours shredding receipts (with three shredders!) and ended with three large bags of paper, which also went into the recycle bin. The weirdest thing was the bag full of shopping bags I found under the sink. It wasn't taking a huge amount of space and my rationale for keeping them was that I use them to line the trash cans (which I do), but I have enough bags to line trash cans for the next year! Haha. The thought that worried me is that these bags cannot be recycled, so I had to get the most of use of them by filling them with trash. Otherwise, in order to recycle a plastic bag I'd need 100 times the weight of the plastic bags I had in order for the recycling plant to consider accepting them (and even then I don't know how those are recycled). So these were placed in the trash to go to a landfill and that felt bad... Man, I really gotta stop getting plastic bags. It's paper from now on until I run out of plastic bags for trash :hippie:

Today, I will look into my clothes and shoes :cool:

Today is Earth Day and it only adds insult to injury that I threw away so many of those plastic bags directly into the rubbish bin. I filled up one trash bag full of clothes. That was hard, too, since a lot of those clothes I can still wear, but there was a shirt there that I had since I was 14! :laughing: I was carrying my newborn baby brother and that shirt was already OLD back then!

But, yeah, those plastic bags will be the death of all of us :puppyeyes: I'm gonna make the effort to go outta my way and not get them.

People should have their own bag to go shopping -at least, for food and so at the supermarket- and that would avoid the existence of a plastic bags industry... at least, of that kind. I come home everyday with some 5 or 7 new plastic bags...

Man, that was a detailed account. I have been into houses like that, but not quite as bad. The smell in that place must have been horrific if they could not smell the brother decomposing 8 feet away from the other brother.

I have a collection of both paper and plastic grocery bags under the sink, and I dont like to throw away magazines. My wife never throws away any receipts.

Today is Earth Day and it only adds insult to injury that I threw away so many of those plastic bags directly into the rubbish bin. I filled up one trash bag full of clothes. That was hard, too, since a lot of those clothes I can still wear, but there was a shirt there that I had since I was 14! :laughing: I was carrying my newborn baby brother and that shirt was already OLD back then!

But, yeah, those plastic bags will be the death of all of us :puppyeyes: I'm gonna make the effort to go outta my way and not get them.

BA , drop off those old clothes at the Salvation Army or something similar and you can make up for the bags. :cool:

BA , drop off those old clothes at the Salvation Army or something similar and you can make up for the bags. :cool:

I still have a Lee jacket from 1964... I was 8 by then but I must say I still use it... no, I didn´t grow much :grin:

And I also had a newborn baby brother when I was 14, I would never throw that shirt, BA... :)

Which is why it pains me to throw plastic bags in the first place, Uncle Joe. I have to start making a few changes here and there. That today is Earth Day is apropos of this thought.

I also need to stop collecting so many movies, music, and books! I doubt that's ever gonna happen :cool: However, I have heard of record collectors who purge their collections in order to keep only the best stuff instead of just random crap. This is a little bit Zen. I like the thought of trimming my collection(s) into something pure and substantial.

I like the thought of trimming my collection(s) into something pure and substantial.

I do this with everything every once in a while: clothes, vinyl albums, books, artwork, boyfriends.

It depends on where I'm at in my life. I used to be quite the incorrigible collector of stuff. Now I find that I keep only the stuff that has meaning in my life... that, or is necessary for living. ;)