Whole lotta shaking...

Elvish

Canada Press reports:

Earthquake early Friday in southern Illinois felt in Ontario

8 hours ago

WEST SALEM, Ill — An early morning earthquake with a magnitude of 5.2 shook Illinois and other nearby states today and was reportedly felt as far away as southern Ontario.

Officials say the 5:36 a.m. EDT quake rattled skyscrapers in Chicago's Loop and homes in Cincinnati, but appears to have caused no major injuries or damage.

Margaret Hay lives in a seventh floor of an apartment in Kitchener, Ont., and believes she felt some rumbling from the tremor.

Hay told radio station CKGL she was reading the newspaper at about 5:35 a.m. when she felt her couch shaking.

The quake was centred in southern Illinois some 10 kilometres from West Salem, Ill., and about 100 kilometres from Evansville, Ind.

The quake is believed to have involved the Wabash fault, a northern extension of the New Madrid fault about 10 kilometres north of Mt. Carmel, Ill., said geophysicist Randy Baldwin of the U.S. Geological Survey .

The last earthquake in the region to approach the severity of Friday's tremor was a 5.0 magnitude quake that shook a nearby area in 2002, Baldwin said.

"This is a fairly large quake for this region," he said. "They might occur every few years."

Baldwin said the USGS revised the quake's magnitude from 5.4 to 5.2.

I didn't feel it, but it woke my mom up bright and early. My old home place is much closer to the epicenter. And this is a woman who's been through literally hundreds of tremors and quakes (right on the fault there) and her first thought was that the bed was shaking because my dad was haunting her :rolleyes: :laughing:

She should be a blonde ;)

Arent earthquakes fun? Did you feel it, Elvis? My brother and his wife felt it in Indianapolis. Well, at least you dont have to worry about tornados....oh yeah....

Hope you did not have any damage!

You know, earthquakes freak me out more than tornadoes. Technology is dang good now and we normally have some warning with tornadoes. Earthquakes are here and gone before ya know it. When I lived on the New Madrid fault, every single time the earth moved I would wonder if it was the "Big One." :crazy:

The quake was centred in southern Illinois some 10 kilometres from West Salem, Ill.,and about 100 kilometres from Evansville, Ind.

I went to college in Evansville, and my mom's family lives right out side E-ville in Princeton.

The quake is believed to have involved the Wabash fault, a northern extension of the New Madrid fault about 10 kilometres north of Mt.Carmel, Il, said geophysicist Randy Baldwin of the U.S. Geological Survey.

One of my aunts lives in Mt. Carmel

My cousin called me to report on the quake. She was scared out of her mind. Every one in my family is o k despite a few broken knicknacks.

It's scary when I'm here and there back there.

I completely understand. And was especially nervous when Mom and my brother were in Memphis for so long last summer. Really freaked me out that they were on the other side of the river. But then again, I'm paranoid :P