Embarassed??

Danielj

I was reading another post and Peches mentioned that he will be listening to like something mellow and change the station in case of other people coming in.

Why are we embarassed by stuff like that? I mean if we like it. Right now I have one of my dad's Sara McLaughlan cd's from a while back in the first slot of my cd player(next is the Ramones so it kinda scares me sometimes!)but i don't think I would like to turn on Sarah McLaughlan if any of my friends were there. Any other's?

I think i know what you are saying...i have my moms Johnny Cash cd...his latest, and last, i guess. But, i listen to it, even though he sings Desperado like a frog, i respect him. My friends would NEVER listen to it, but i know a friend that listens to Disney music, mainly Lion King, but he is a hard rock freak...people dont wanna let the true selves of them out. I say be who you are, its your life, do what you want with it.

How unhip is this?

I get choked up when I hear the song Tomorrow from the musical 'Annie'. Andrea McArdle from the original Broadway cast put her flippin' everything into it.

Well, the other good tune from that show (It's A) Hard Knock Life was sampled heavily by rapper Jay-Z and subtitled Ghetto Anthem.

Maybe I'm not so square.

I am not embarrassed by any of my tacky, horrible, cheesy musical preferences. I like Bread, The Carpenters, the Captain & Tenille, and lots of other stuff people would hide under their bed. Some of my musical taste is surprising to people who know me. No one would expect me to love Ozzy and KISS, but I do.

LOL! I listen to a very wide range of music, and I have never been afraid to let people know it. In fact, I am proud of my extremely diverse collection. I like when people ask me "what is that song you are listening, too? I go pretty cool, huh? I go from Led Zeppelin to Fatih Hill to the O'Jays to Usher and all the way back to Phil Collins. I'm a rare breed in my parts and I like it that way!!

Im embaressed to let my cousins, who i am VERY close to, know that i listen to led zeppelin and other bands... why?.. cause my oldest cousin listens to the same music and if i told them i listened to led zeppelin they would tell me i was copying my oldest cousin.. they are very judgemental. I dont know what to do,im kinda letting them know now that i listen to rock tho. ::

OMG, after being on this site for a while, I think I'd hide my whole record collection (mostly mainstream pop). I realized how narrow my horizons are, musically, but I am trying to expand and listen to different stuff.

For a while, I did hide my '80's stuff, but now, it's nostalgia!!!! At least I don't own any Britney.....

i have a friend who has every michael jackson album..

i have forgiven her though, because she lets me borrow her clothes ;)

i still blush whenever i hear a dire straits song on the radio, because i was i big fan when i was about 13, and it just reminds me of this geeky kid.

and my colleages have made fun of my smiths cd's but i just put that down to the fact that they have absolutly no taste whatsoever ::

I generally get embarassed when I'm blasting music in my car with the windows rolled down. I will be listening to some "soft-rock" station and a song like Gloria Estefan's "Anything For You" will be on, or I am listening to my best of "Depeche Mode" two disc set, (ofcourse I am singing to the top of my lungs and rockin' out as if the song just came out or something) and find myself turning it WAY down when I come to a stop light incase anyone else has their window down....I am trying to overcome this "fear" of being judged simply for my eclectic taste in music....so that's a step in the right direction I guess.

Well this is probably a curse more than a gift, but..I have no shame I will not be embarrased of anything.

I'm the kind of guy that will do the dumbest crap on a dare.

So being embarrased of my music is something that will never never never never happen.

I don't care who's around me I will listen to the lamest music for one of two reasons

1)I like it

2)It's funny as hell to sing along to.

My personal favorite is reason number two. That's how I justify listening to Elton John, and singing along and air-pianoing while my friends driving, and then of course to finish off the Elton John impression, I 'do things' to my friend(no no no, not what you're thinking (perverts) it's nothing super gay, just funny gay)

...while he's driving, needless to say it's kind of distracting for a driver if you're being dry humped by a guy pretending to bang on a piano singing 'HOLD ME CLOSER TINY DANCER' really loud right in your ear. :jester:

One time when I was little and only really listened to oldies because that was all I ever heard and was used to, i was in the car with my dad at a stoplight, and I he had the radio turned on full blast, blaring Funeral For A Friend. At the time I thought the song was dumb, and of course he had the windows rolled down, and someone from school pulled up next to us. I was prety embarrased. Now I'm the one who listens to it at full volume with the windows down.

I actually like "When I Need You" by Leo Sayer...it's pretty. I love Simon and Garfunkel too!

Hey, if I can admit to listening to Barry Manilow, and loving the songs "Rocky Mountain High" and "Annie's Song" by John Denver, you guys have nothing to be embarrassed about! ;)

But you know what, my son just turned 8...oh, what a terrific tool for embarrassing him in front of his little friends when he gives me a hard time. And I will sing along - loudly and purposely off key to really make him hate me! ::

One time when I was little and only really listened to oldies because that was all I ever heard and was used to, i was in the car with my dad at a stoplight, and I he had the radio turned on full blast, blaring Funeral For A Friend. At the time I thought the song was dumb, and of course he had the windows rolled down, and someone from school pulled up next to us. I was prety embarrased. Now I'm the one who listens to it at full volume with the windows down.

Me too! When I was younger I grew up on my dad's oldies in the car, and loved it. But the second on of my friends would get in the car, I"d begin to make fun of it and my dad for listening to it. Now I'm the one who listens to it and have actually turned alot of my friends ON to oldies

You guys get embarrassed over fairly plain muzak. Try listening to Japanese Pop or Spanish Romantic in front of your friends and then it can get pretty weird with their "wtf" expressions.

First of all no thanks to the japanese music( I like spanish slow stuff. nice guitar)

Stop putting your text pink and Italic too please it really annoys me

Pretty recently I have developed a taste for what some would call "classic rock" mostly The Beatles, The Band, and a wide variety of songs by many different artists from Pink Floyd to Eric Clapton and so forth.

I was never really into any of today's music: teen pop or alternative rock or whatever and ?60?s, 70?s and some ?80?s rock music, in my opinion, is so unique, real and innovative, written and played by real musicians: artists.

But I think everyone assumes I should like newer music or if your my family no music at all so I tend to listen to it under the radar. On the one hand I would love to boldly express my own personal taste in music but on the other hand I would feel sort of embarrassed when the song ended. Usually I just turn it down or off when people are around. :o

I know it is a contradiction to say that I think my music is great but not good enough for those around me but I guess I feel if people judge and reject my music they are judging and rejecting me.

Then again I won't go blasting the music and annoying and offending people just to make a statement about myself. (That I am inconsiderate and offensive?!?)

But... maybe once it would be fun. :jester: LOL

Annabelle

i have a friend who has every michael jackson album..

I must have worn out the grooves on Thriller (I had the album). I knew all the words and studied the moves whenever they played one of MJ's videos.

I also like showtunes. I have the Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Chicago and Guys and Dolls soundtracks..plus a Cole Porter CD.