AC/DC On Producer Brendan O'Brien: 'He Knows Exactly What We Want'

Viaene

Taken from Ultimate Guitar.com

AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson has confirmed reports that the band is recording its new album in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada with producer Brendan O'Brien, best known for his work with Incubus, King's X, The Offspring, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Stone Temple Pilots and more recently, Audioslave and Velvet Revolver.

Speaking to the Los Angeles radio station 97.1 Klsx Free Fm, Johnson revealed that the band has been in the studio for about five weeks now and added, "We're working with Brendan O'Brien, [bruce] Springsteen's producer, and he's a great guy. He knows exactly what we want, and so far, it sounds really good. I'm well pleased. This will be the first album in about eight years." Asked if the band would hit the road once the current recording sessions were complete, Johnson replied, "I would probably thinks so, yeah. I always hate to say yes in case something happens, but I really do think we will be out there — everybody's enjoying being back together again and the buzz is still there and the excitement. Mal [Malcolm Young] and Ang [Angus Young] are still just electric on their guitars, and Phil's [Rudd] got the old magic on the drums and Cliff Williams is Mr. Reliable on bass — he's brilliant — and it's just been fun. It's like a bunch of old [friends] getting together again and having a great time."

Listen to the interview here.

Little has been reported about the new AC/DC album, which will be the band's first since 2000's "Stiff Upper Lip".

AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams told Spinner.com in February that AC/DC would enter the studio March 1 to begin recording its first new album in eight years. The web site caught up with Williams at the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp in Los Angeles, where he said, "God I'm ready."

As for touring, however, Williams was less sure about the group's intentions. He explained, "If we go out again or when we go out again, you just never know. We've been around a long time, so we're going to get together and get in the studio and I fully expect we will (tour). I don't mean to be so negative about that."

The band itself is now international, with members scattered across the globe. Malcolm and Angus Young divide their time between Britain and Australia (with Angus also spending time in the Netherlands because he has a Dutch wife). Singer Brian Johnson and Cliff Williams are based in the U.S., while drummer Phil Rudd lives in New Zealand.

XM's Boneyard/VH1 Classic host Eddie Trunk revealed a rumor on his "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM on March 28 that AC/DC will embark on a "farewell" tour later in the year once the recording sessions for their new album have been completed.

AC/DC Complete Recording New Album

AC/DC has finished recording its new album and is currently mixing the effort for a late 2008 release, the group's vocalist Brian Johnson revealed yesterday morning (Tuesday, April 22) during an interview with Washigton D.C.'s DC 101 radio station.

Johnson has apparently left the studio in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada where AC/DC guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young have remained with producers Mike Fraser and Brendan O'Brien in order to complete work on the CD.

Brian also stated that the band will next work on getting the artwork done and take care of the promotional activities in connection with the release, to be followed by a tour.

According to Reuters, the new album will be AC/DC's first for Sony BMG's Epic Records label, which reissued the band's back catalog a few years ago.

O'Brien is also known for his work with The Offspring, Rage Against The Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Audioslave and Velvet Revolver, among others.

VH1 Classic host Eddie Trunk recently revealed on his New York radio show that AC/DC was rumored to be planning a "farewell" tour for later in the year.

In other news, "Totally Baked", a "stoner comedy" on which Brian Johnson is listed as an executive producer, debuted on DVD yesterday, April 22. Johnson also wrote three new songs for the movie's soundtrack.