Netflix questions

mishoff

I have a few questions for netflix subscribers. I hope there are some out there. I am thinking about joining netflix. We used to rent from a video store that was only 2 minutes away from our house. I haven't rented many films since they closed because the next closest store is not on my normal drive home.

I checked out the netflix site and I'm impressed. When I clicked on the browse function on netflix it only had a screen's worth of movies to browse in each category. Is there a way to browse all of the movies before you join? I love indie films and would love to see the complete list. When you actually join do you get to see a whole long alphabetical list of everything they have or do they still do the most popular choices like they have on the site where you can sign up.

I read that you can watch instant movies if you have a TV that that hooks up to the internet. We have directTV. Would that be compatible? If not, couldn't we just watch instant movies on the computer screen if we wanted?

Can you print out a list of movies that you've rented from them in the past to use as a reference when you're selecting new movies?

Thanks for your help

Can you print out a list of movies that you've rented from them in the past to use as a reference when you're selecting new movies?

You can rate any movies you've seen, and Netflix will make suggestions to you based on your preferences. The more movies you rate, the better that gets. They've got just about everything available on DVD, but what they display is only a small part of it. I will sometimes visit a video store without renting to just make a long list of potential choices, then read customer reviews on the Netflix site.

I'd say if you can't a find a movie on netflix, it most likely is not available commercially in the US. There are very very very few movies that netflix doesn't have. However, there are movies that do go out of print and some unscrupulous subscribers keep these movies in order to re-sell them for higher prices (this sucks).

You can print out a list of every movie you've rented in the past. Now you can also see how you rated the movies you've seen. Netflix is great. Blockbuster is also very good. I am currently using them both. Blockbuster has given me another free month. They're trying to woo me back. I think Netflix has a greater choice of music DVD's, concerts, etc.

I recommend both very highly. They're very fast in getting movies to you...usually by the next day, especially if you live in a large metropolitan area.

Enjoy your movie watching!

My (now abbreviated)list looks like this...it doesn't copy and paste too well...it prints much better. The list also shows my ratings of the movies and the date returned.

The Secret Lives of Dentists

04/16/08

The Feast of Love

04/16/08

Dedication

04/16/08

Thr3e

04/09/08

We Own the Night

04/04/08

The Dead Girl

03/31/08

Atonement

03/31/08

Dexter: Season 1: Disc 4 (4-Disc Series)

03/25/08

No Country for Old Men

03/25/08

Eastern Promises

03/25/08

The Invasion

03/18/08

Dexter: Season 1: Disc 3 (4-Disc Series) 03/12/08

Lonely Hearts

03/07/08

Dexter: Season 1: Disc 2 (4-Disc Series) 03/07/08

Rendition

03/05/08

Gone Baby Gone

03/03/08

Dexter: Season 1: Disc 1 (4-Disc Series) 02/29/08

The Martian Child

02/26/08

The Jane Austen Book Club

02/22/08

The Brave One

02/20/08

The TV Set

02/08/08

Seraphim Falls

02/08/08

The Nines

02/08/08

Away from Her

01/29/08

Doo Wop: Vocal Group Greats Live

01/15/08

Sacco & Vanzetti

01/15/08

Four Brothers

01/15/08

I Know Who Killed Me

01/02/08

The Nanny Diaries

01/02/08

Deck the Halls

12/17/07

Thumbsucker

12/17/07

Reign Over Me

11/19/07

The Fountain

11/19/07

Zodiac

11/06/07

Mr. Brooks

10/31/07

Edited by Guest
For the sake of space and brevity.

Another very satisfied customer here... I've had Netflix for 2 1/2 years, and it's great.Twice during that time a movie has gotten lost in the mail, or something... who knows? No problem, you just report it and move on, they send you another.

As far as instant movies, I'm not sure about the tv part (we don't have that), but I watch them on my monitor all the time. Those are generally the older movies, as well as most of the music and concert ones etc, which makes for great viewing on your monitor, as you can surf the net (for information) a bit at the same time.

I really love having Netflix, plus it's like getting a little surprise in the mail. I can't think of any drawbacks at all.