Is there a better Grunge band than Alice In Chains

GeeterMcgee

I once heard someone who posted often here that there was some sort of seperation between Grunge and Hard Rock and/or Metal. One only needs to listen to Alice in Chains to realize that though the styles are different many of the elements are much the same and taken from such groups as Black Sabbath, Zepplin. There are songs that appear to be a direct and methodical remake of Zep songs, but I think there style is directly related in beat, pace, and subject to Black Sabath.

Any thoughts would be welcomed, as to these comparisons, and more importantly is the idea that they are the greatest Grunge band of all times, and not even from the creative center and beginning of Grunge (Seattle). Having formed and finding their beginnings in San Diego California, what a phenominal band Alice was, or is?

• 1 month later...

They're probably the most talented out of the Grunge groups, but I don't consider them true to the genre. They're lyrical comprehension focuses on the same ominous elements as the others, while their music is more hardcore than the others. I would list Van Halen & Deep Purple as major guitar influences, as you can hear similarities in Cantrell?s way of playing that are comparable to Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, & other late 70?s hard rock icons. After a few years of establishing themselves, they altered their sound & started to blend in with the Alternative-Grunge genre. Drugs had taken a major toll on this band?s productivity as well, & of course is what caused the death of this great group.

... and not even from the creative center and beginning of Grunge (Seattle). Having formed and finding their beginnings in San Diego California...

Geeter, I still don't understand where you get this notion. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell formed Alice in Chains in 1987 at the Seattle rehearsal warehouse, The Music Bank. Cantrell's friends, Mike Star and Sean Kinney completed the lineup and then promptly started playing the local Seattle clubs.

I agree that Alice in Chains was the definitive "heavy metal" band of the early '90s and most likely to present day. Such a shame that such raw talent was wasted on drugs.

When I first heard Man in the Box, over ten years ago, I knew they were something special. The only other band that comes to mind with their original sound and talent is Soundgarden...let me not forget Nirvana, scott will e-kill me. Scott will understand when I say that Nirvana's music was different than Alice in Chains' or Soungarden's, the only reason I didn't mention them first.

I think that the term grunge is a confused one. I've heard grunge that sounds like heavy metal and I've heard heavy metal that sounds like grunge.

Anyway, nice to see you post and where in the heck did you hear that Alice in Chains formed in San Diego? ::

Yes, the word "Grunge" is a pretty vague one. I´ve seen "Hype!"-movie 2 days ago after several years. Great movie, and after watching it, everybody should know that there has been a lot more than the 4 "big ones" (Nirvana PJ, AIC, SG). For me, SOUNDGARDEN has always been the most talented and in a way most "subtle" band, not only in what we call "Grunge". A great and complete rock-group. For me it´s hard to understand why Cornell makes this sort of biceps-music. Soundgarden have always been a very strong and grown up band without bathos. Okay, I liked the AS-demo a lot, the songs sounded more natural and dry on it.

By the way, the STONE TEMPLE PILOTS have been from San Diego. Not "Grunge", more Led Zeppelin-based. Great band, Weiland has been a great performer (above all in the late STP-years), the "Thank You"-DVD is stunning.

I agree that he was the founder, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains & many others have even given him strong mention as being their main influence. David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix (fellow Seattle resident), & even such diverse acts as Melvins & MC5 were others who had their innovative ways clichéd.

Alice in chains were great - but it's pretty hard to say which of all those incredible bands were best...I agree with Musictyme that Neil Young is definitely the founder of the style that came to be called grunge, and Soundgarden, STP, and especially Nirvana along with AIC will always be in my cd changer - Love them all -it's like trying to choose between Zeppelin and Floyd - impossible.

Sidebar - to superunivited - I considered superunforgiven for my screen name - You rock! :rockon: