• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The El Dorados were a great Doo Wop group from Chicago back in the 50's and early 60's who had a string of ballad-type hits featuring their wonderful harmony (my favorite of which was I'll Be Forever Loving You-1955). But their biggest hits were probably the following two which were huge among jitterbuggers. The first is At My Front Door. It was so popular that the record company had the guys do a novelty follow-up called Bim Bam Boom (though many called it At My Back Door). Listen to it all the way through to hear the lead singer's claims squashed by the bassman.

By the way...the group's lead singer had one of the most outstanding names in early rock...Pirkle Lee Moses.

At My Front Door-The El Dorados 1955/56

Bim Bam Boom-The El Dorados 1956

More seminal Doo Wop. The Four Deuces formed in the early 50's in California (having met at Ft. Ord). The story goes that the guys recorded a short song for use in a radio commercial for a liquor store (or chain of stores). The song was called WPLJ (for White Port And Lemon Juice) which was a popular drink at the time. The song became so popular that people phoned the radio stations to ask when the ad would be aired again. The record company had the group record a longer version and released it to some success. The song was eventually covered by many including Frank Zappa on his Burnt Weeny Sandwich album. The Italian Swiss Colony Wine Company later adopted the song for a while as its jingle.

So the story goes.

White Port And Lemon Juice (WPLJ)-The Four Deuces 1956

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...