Mike

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

It is annoying and I don't like the line in the beginning where she says "let him hit me". I know the song has many poker references, but I didn't get that until I read the songfacts. Listened to casually, it sounds as if she is OK with getting hit by a man. Not a song I'd let my daughter listen to...at least not without a talk first.

Is shoegaze making a comeback? Almost every 'in' band these days seems to have a shoegaze connection. Drowned in Sound is going through a 'Shoegaze Week.' And searches for the word end in many more results than they did mere weeks ago. Am I suddenly 'cool'? What gives?!

[big]The Quick 10: 10 Billboard 200 Milestones[/big]

[smaller]by Stacy Conradt - April 23, 2009 - 3:15 PM - Link[/smaller]

It was this day in 1988 that Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon album finally dropped off the Billboard 200, ending a phenomenal, record-setting streak that has yet to be broken. Check out their staggering accomplishment and nine other Billboard 200 milestones below.

1. Most weeks on the chart: Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon, 741 weeks.

741 WEEKS. That’s more than 14 years! Color me impressed, Heather. No other artist or album has even come close to that achievement - the closest was Johnny Mathis’ Johnny’s Greatest Hits, which spent 490 weeks (almost 9.5 years) on the charts.

2. The most top-ten albums: The Rolling Stones with 36 albums,

followed by Frank Sinatra at 32 and The Beatles at 31.

3. The most number-one albums: The Beatles with 19,

followed by Elvis and Jay-Z with 10 each. Tied for third are The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen with nine each. Fourth place is another tie: Barbra Streisand and Garth Brooks both have eight.

4. The biggest chart jump: Life After Death by The Notorious B.I.G., #176 to #1.

This is really no surprise - the album was released posthumously just 16 days after his death in 1997. Other huge leaps include Pearl Jam’s Vitalogy, from #173 to #1; Radiohead’s In Rainbows, from #156 to #1; and somewhat surprisingly, The Monkees’ More of the Monkees, from #122 to #1. And another quick fact about Vitalogy - it originally charted at#55, and that was actual vinyl album sales, not CDs. It was the first vinyl album to chart at all since CDs entered the market.

5. The biggest chart drop: Light Grenades by Incubus, from #1 to #40.

This just happened in 2006 and broke the previous record held by Marilyn Manson’s The Golden Age of Grotesque, which dropped from #1 to #21 in 2003. Other plummets include Young Jeezy’s The Inspiration, falling from #1 to #18 and Nine Inch Nails’ The Fragile, which fell from #1 to #16. You can see that Incubus holds the record pretty handily.

6. The only artist to ever have four number one albums in the same year: The Monkees.

They even topped ever-present bands The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, which is pretty astounding. The year was 1967 and the albums were The Monkees (released in 1966 but still #1 on the charts in 1967), More of the Monkees, Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. . Their two album releases in 1968 only managed #3 and #45, 1969’s efforts landed them at #32 and #100, and it only got worse from then on out. It must hurt to fall so hard, so fast!

7. The first rap/hip-hop album to hit #1: Licensed to Ill, the Beastie Boys.

It was 1987. Kind of ironically, it only made it to #2 on the actual Hip Hop/R&B chart.

8. First artist to hold the #1 and #2 spots: Bob Newhart.

Yep, that’s right. In the ’60s, Bob’s The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart and its sequel, The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back held both spots, beating both Elvis and The Sound of Music soundtrack. The subtitle of the first album is “The Most Celebrated New Comedian Since Attila the Hun.†That first album garnered him three Grammys in 1961: Best New Artist, Best Comedy Performance (Spoken Word) and Album of the Year. But back to the #1 and #2 spots on the Billboard Charts thing: the only artists to ever do the same are Guns ‘n’ Roses in 1991 with Use Your Illusion I and II, and Nelly in 2004 with Suit and Sweat.

9. The most weeks on the top ten: Music for Lovers Only by Jackie Gleason at 153 weeks.

Surprising, no? That’s almost double the length of time Thriller spent in the top ten: 78 weeks.

10. Longest time for an album to make it to #1: Paula Abdul’s Forever Your Girl, 64 weeks.

Yep, Paula’s album was on the charts for more than a year before it finally gained enough steam to take the #1 position. But she did really well on the singles chart - the album contained four #1 hits, which ties her for second place for the most songs to hit #1 from one single album. The singles were “Straight Up,†“Forever Your Girl,†“Cold Hearted†and “Opposites Attract.†The number-one spot goes to Michael Jackson’s Bad album, which had five #1 singles: I Just Can’t Stop Loving You, Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Man in the Mirror and Dirty Diana.