• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We need a new word to describe a guitar "solo" (or drum solo, etc.), since in many cases, it is not just that instrument that's playing - usually the band is keeping the beat.

Instead of solo, it should really be something like "feature," but a whole new word. That would distinguish it better.

• 2 weeks later...

Two of my best friends from college (who have been dating for a couple years now) are visiting the Bay Area this weekend and I'm going to play God Only Knows on my violin while he proposes to her. I never fully appreciated how complex Brian Wilson's melodies are until trying to teach myself one.

Let us know how that proposal goes. This sounds like a viral video in the making.

I watched the Macy's Parade yesterday. Two musical mishaps:

1) One of the marching bands played "Journey To The Center Of The Mind," which is great, but Matt Laurer said it was by "Ted Nugent and the Asbury Dukes"

I get that our newsman was trying to give us some added value by letting us know that Nugent was in the band, but the name of the group is "The Amboy Dukes." He got them mixed up with Springsteen cohorts the Asbury Jukes.

2) Joan Jett was billed as "Joan Jett and the Blackhearts." If there were any Blackhearts there, they certainly weren't performing. It's funny how some singers (like Joan) use a microphone for these things and some don't. Obviously, they're not singing live, but I guess it might feel better to hold a mic and imagine you are.

Me, I just hold a hairbrush like a microphone. Or a bottle of shampoo, if I'm in the shower. Once while driving from Phoenix to San Diego, I had inadvertently hit the "voice memo" app on my iPhone and recorded a half hour of myself warbling the dulcet tones of some serious Roger rock & roll at full volume. VERY happy I got to that and erased it before anyone stole my phone and it went viral on the 'net. :laughing: :laughing:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sir Mix-a-Lot was often labeled a misogynist, but in his big hit, he says things you would tell your daughter if she was struggling with body-image issues:

So Cosmo says you're fat

Well I ain't down with that

He was also one of the few rappers to take a stand against domestic violence in his lyrics:

I won't cuss or hit ya

From "Posse On Broadway":

I never liked a punk who beat up on his girl

If you don't have game, then let her leave your world

Remember, this was a time when "slappin' the ho" was a stock line in Hip-Hop.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

They're doing the "All-American 4th of July" on the Sirius/XM classic rock channel, which has become a trope of the format. The idea is that only American artists are played, so no AC/DC or Led Zeppelin, but Edgar Winter might get some spins (not a bad thing).

When I was doing the DJ thing, I used to get a kick out of trying to figure out what acts qualified: The Pretenders are fronted by an American, but she spent a lot of time in England. Heart is from the USA, but they went to Canada for a while. How about Santana?

In a world where the American world cup team in coached by a German, nationalism doesn't mean what it used to.

So The Band wouldn't qualify? Or CSNY, Lighthouse & Traffic? That station won't have many listeners! :tongue:

Canadian radio plays anything with at least one Canadian in the line-up for "Canada rock specials". And it's not for lack of Canadian rockers, but more for giving listeners what they like. Sirius should try that...