Random Music Thoughts V

Mike

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night at the All-Star Game, "Sweet Caroline" was played back-to-back with "Enter Sandman." Here's how it went down:

Neil Diamond, in tribute to Boston, performs "Sweet Caroline" in the middle of the 8th inning (when it is always played at Fenway). As soon as he's done, "Enter Sandman" blares over the speakers, signifying the entrance of Mariano Rivera, who is being honored as the greatest relief pitcher of all time in his last season.

So you had a Red Sox tradition followed by a tribute to a Yankee taking place in the Mets stadium.

I recently bought Less Than Jake's highly-praised second major-label release from 1998 "Hello Rockview" as a box set of 7 45s. I just now am getting around to listening to it the whole way through, and I'm realizing how inconvenient it is. Getting up every 2-3 minutes to flip a record/change it kind of sucks. But it is a cool way to package a record and a nice collectible. I believe it was limited to 5000 copies.

And, old woman next door, if you can hear this punk/ska masterpiece, I don't care. I can hear your phone ringing when I'm trying to focus on studies, so oh well. (I doubt she can hear it though.)

I've always wondered how she got the nickname "LaLa".

Oh, and also,

Since she was only 16 years old when she sang lead vocal for the last two of The Crystals Top Ten U.S. hits, did she ever fantasize that the song "Then He Kissed Me" was about her and some boy she knew at the time or even a celebrity?

Sounds good Brad. I was planning to ask a question along the lines of "What do you think about when you sing these songs," and using a specific song like "Then He Kissed Me" could be a good way to do it. There's also the shocking "He Hit Me (It Felt Like a Kiss)", which might be fun to hear about.

The "La La" story is cute - her little sister called her that because she couldn't pronounce "Dolores."

Regarding what she thought about while singing those songs, the answer was basically, "whatever Phil told me to think about."

This one was fun. What I didn't realize was that from "Da Doo Ron Ron" onward, she was the only Crystal to sing on their records.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to think that Robert Plant saw our Tweet yesterday. Here's how it could have happened:

We Tweeted about Patty Griffin's song "Up to the Mountain," since it was the anniversary of Martin Luther King's famous speech, and the song is about him. Patty retweeted it (https://twitter.com/PattyGMusic).

She's married to Robert Plant.

All of this really happened, but we'll have to confabulate the part where she shows off Songfacts to Robert Plant. :afro: