Mike

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple other moments I would have thought deserve mention (both on SNL):

Elvis Costello switching into Radio Radio, leading him to be banned from the show for a couple decades.

Rage Against The Machine hung upside-down American flags on their amps and then were not allowed to perform a second song.

Also on SNL, courtesy of our interview with Kenny Vance, who was musical director on the show:

James Brown won't stop playing - they have to go to a commercial while he was still at it.

Prince drops an F-bomb at the end of his performance in the early '80s. He's not invited back until 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, yes it does sound incredibly pretentious but I love Memory Tapes and Washed Out and I'm a fan of Toro y Moi and Neon Indian in small doses as well, so if that's what they're classes as, I'll go with it.

Hell yeah! Chillwave/glo-fi forever! But in direct contradiction to that last sentence, I'm guessing Neon Indian is the only one of the bunch that will stand the test of time. And it's worth noting that in the internet age, the "test of time" has been shortened to a year or so. Neon Indian is the least gimmicky of the bunch.

ah, Tim, why don't ya like chillwave? Too chill?

Also, random thought. I think I have decided on my least favorite quote of all time: "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." It's just a stupid quote. Writing about music isn't like dancing about architecture, it's more like writing about architecture. And what makes dancing about architecture so inherently bad?

ah, Tim, why don't ya like chillwave? Too chill?

I don't really feel either way about the genre itself. I've never heard anything that gets put under that umbrella that I've felt strongly about positively or negatively. For whatever weird neurotic reason it's the word itself that bothers me. I think because it represents, in my mind, the ultimate in made-up, arbitrary genre names that hipsters like to sprinkle their conversations with.

Well don't take it too seriously, the name itself is (probably) supposed to kind of be a joke. I can't remember the last time I heard someone use the word "chill" without trying to be funny. But it really doesn't say anything about the genre. I think "glo-fi" is more clever and also describes the music better.

Perhaps I'm behind the boat on this one, but what exactly does chillwave encompass?

Chillwave is usually pretty lo-fi, and it's really not even a genre imo (there are like 5 bands that people have sorta heard of that are described as chillwave), but yeah I would describe it as lo-fi, hazy, nostalgiac pop. A running theme in the music is 20-something laziness. It also tends to be sample-based. here are some examples

Washed Out - "Feel It All Around"

Neon Indian - "Deadbeat Summer"

Neon Indian - "Should Have Taken Acid With You"

Ducktails - "Landrunner"

Out of the ones I've posted, I'd say Neon Indian is the one really worth checking out. Washed Out is cool for atmosphere music because it's really relaxing, but his sound gets old after a while. Ducktails is just 90s nostalgia for the sake of 90s nostalgia.

Well don't take it too seriously, the name itself is (probably) supposed to kind of be a joke. I can't remember the last time I heard someone use the word "chill" without trying to be funny. But it really doesn't say anything about the genre. I think "glo-fi" is more clever and also describes the music better.

Chillwave is usually pretty lo-fi, and it's really not even a genre imo (there are like 5 bands that people have sorta heard of that are described as chillwave), but yeah I would describe it as lo-fi, hazy, nostalgiac pop. A running theme in the music is 20-something laziness. It also tends to be sample-based. here are some examples

Washed Out - "Feel It All Around"

Neon Indian - "Deadbeat Summer"

Neon Indian - "Should Have Taken Acid With You"

Ducktails - "Landrunner"

Out of the ones I've posted, I'd say Neon Indian is the one really worth checking out. Washed Out is cool for atmosphere music because it's really relaxing, but his sound gets old after a while. Ducktails is just 90s nostalgia for the sake of 90s nostalgia.

It's interesting. Though I'm not typically one for lo-fi music.

Millionyoung is promising as well but he has like one, maybe two good songs. he has something like five in total, so that's why I say 'promising' :P

Toro y Moi is the one that's good but I find gets old after a while. it's the same loose tape, warped vinyl sound over and over again.

Yeah I agree, they have a good sound but it gets old. That's kind of how I feel about all the chillwave bands that don't put much of a focus on songwriting (what's up Washed Out?). It's still perfect zone-out music though. I hope it replaces Ratatat as the go-to weed-smoking music in college dorms. I've heard their non-Seventeen Years songs a little too much.

Check out this comment someone left on " Year of the Cat":

This song is a page in my life. I was in Bangkok, Thailand when I met her. She came out of the sun in a silk dress running towards me. She was cute and very petite. Typical Thai girl. Very sweet. I stayed with her for two years. I'll never forget her. I was born in the Year of the Cat or Tiger (1950). She was born in the Year of the Dog. We were totally compatible. We still see each other. I got her off the street by helping her get a good education. I have never felt better about helping someone. I love her dearly. I'll never NEVER forget her. The lyrics of this song play the movie of the most wonderful time of my life. I have never had so much fun with someone. We were lovers, but also best friends. You would have had to be there to understand. Thank You Al Stewart!