Random Music Thoughts V

Mike

Anyway, I was thinking today about the '80s. I've always thought it was a great decade for music, with some very original songs, but then I was doing some work on the Jefferson Airplane evolution and realized what that decade did to stars of the '60s and '70s. Artists like ZZ Top, Aretha Franklin and Heart slickened their sound and cranked out huge hits - it was almost too easy. The most egregious case is the Airplane, who were one of the most important bands of the '60s even though they had just two hits, but in the '80s as "Starship," they became just the opposite: a completely unimportant band with massive success. The same folks who brought us "White Rabbit" and "Somebody To Love" plagued us with " We Built This City" and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" - both #1 hits. Maybe the '80s were as bad as everyone says.

I have to agree there. But only with the fact about the 80s. Jefferson Starship also did some very good stuff earlier: Hyperdrive, With Your Love, Switchblade, Sketches From China, Across the Board (as Kanter/Slick/Freiberg)

What bothers me about the eighties (and it bothered me while I was living the eighties...) is basically those Simmons electronic drums... even Leonard Cohen or John Lennon used them.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the word "chillwave" make anybody else want to punch someone?

I really like chillwave - I love the 80s/shoegaze mix. Not as derivative a term as 'glo-fi', though. That one I will not use.

I've got used to it, I guess. It's been accepted in a sort of post-ironic way - as demonstrated by one of my twitter peeps asking if the vuvuzela could be classified as chillwave. Made me laugh. :D

Who still listens to Pitchfork? What is this, 2004?

:laughing: You think that's bad, I still get Rolling Stone. I also get Spin, but only because it was free after being a loyal RS subscriber for so long. Maybe it was the magazine syndicate's pity-attempt to make me cool. It didn't work.

Hey, some music magazines are okay. I am a fan, though not a subscriber, of Q and Mojo - I like the writing. But I usually live off back issues that are a year or two old. They mostly talk about music that's a decade or more old as well, so it doesn't really matter :D

You mean "Shot By Both Sides" by Magazine, mate. Not Television. (Different branch of the media).

I've mentioned this shared riff before (in the "Punk Bands" thread). Howard Devoto quit the Buzzcocks to form Magazine, liked this particular riff so much he used it on his new band's debut single. Meanwhile, Pete Shelley decided the Buzzcocks would use it as well. And why not? It's a killer riff.