• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my random music thought of the day . . . .

My favorite MTV Video Music Award performance was in 1992 when Nirvana did a nice version of "Lithium" (and of course, Kurt Cobain ruffling the feathers of the MTV suits by doing the opening bars of "Rape Me").

Of course, the best part was Krist Novocelic getting clonked on the head by his bass (which he tossed after his amp failed) and Kurt smashing his guitar and smashing the piano.

Jay, I think my favorite MTV moment was when the guy from Rage Against the Machine climbed the set and ground the show to a halt. A little subplot to that story was that it marked the end of Toni Braxton's success. She was wearing the best dress ever and about to present when the spotlight was abruptly removed. We didn't hear much from her after that.

Anyway, I was thinking today about the '80s. I've always thought it was a great decade for music, with some very original songs, but then I was doing some work on the Jefferson Airplane evolution and realized what that decade did to stars of the '60s and '70s. Artists like ZZ Top, Aretha Franklin and Heart slickened their sound and cranked out huge hits - it was almost too easy. The most egregious case is the Airplane, who were one of the most important bands of the '60s even though they had just two hits, but in the '80s as "Starship," they became just the opposite: a completely unimportant band with massive success. The same folks who brought us "White Rabbit" and "Somebody To Love" plagued us with " We Built This City" and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" - both #1 hits. Maybe the '80s were as bad as everyone says.

I can't decide if I like Sleigh Bells enough to buy their album.

It's a fun, slightly crazy album. I think it's up your alley. It's sort of innocent like Pains of Being Pure at Heart, but it's got this really weird electronic-noise thing happening, and - according to the friend I was listening to it with - a heap of heavy metal riffs that have been 'parodied' and turned into this insane noise pop noise. I cannot stress the noise enough.

Um, you probably already knew all this, but I had to put it all together for my own satisfaction. Maybe it helps :P

in the '80s as "Starship," they became just the opposite: a completely unimportant band with massive success. The same folks who brought us "White Rabbit" and "Somebody To Love" plagued us with " We Built This City" and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" - both #1 hits. Maybe the '80s were as bad as everyone says.

I actually like Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, it was one of my favorite songs at the time of it's release though it's campy now.

Sara and We Built This City... not so much.

Toni Braxton was wearing the best dress ever and about to present when the spotlight was abruptly removed. We didn't hear much from her after that.

Pray tell, what did "the best dress ever" look like? I'm guessing it was completely transparent with the spotlight on it...

Maybe the '80s were as bad as everyone says.

It was.

I don't watch the MTV awards anymore. But I do remember PeeWee Herman's "Heard any good jokes lately?" intro. :bow:

• 2 weeks later...