Mike

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so it was Mr. Peaches' birthday this past Saturday. We gather up a sizable crowd of idiots and go out to paint the town red. We end up at some random bar and proceed to drink various and sundry adult libations. The song "Your Love" by The Outfield comes on the jukebox and the whole place goes nuts. I'm having the time of my life, singing at the top of my lungs when the moment of clarity struck me deep down to my very soul. I looked around the bar and realized that these mother lovers singing the song WEREN'T EVEN *(&^-ING BORN WHEN IT CAME OUT.

Jiminy Christmas, I'm old.

good ol' songs are the best to sing along in a fuzzy bar :D

Another random music thought I'd like to share with you guys;

The story of James Carter

As of 1959, Carter was serving time at the Mississippi State Penitentiary in Lambert for charges unknown. In a southern field excursion at Camp B, Carter and the other prisoners in his chain gang were spending the day chopping wood. Carter began singing an old spiritual, “Po’ Lazarusâ€, and the other prisoners joined in, chopping the logs in time to the music. Folk music historian Alan Lomax happened to be present at the time, and was able to take a photograph of the prisoners and make a recording of the music, which he donated to a music archive.

Decades later, the recording was purchased for use in the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack, which went on to win a Grammy for Album of the Year. During this, it was discovered by the producers that Carter was still alive, and they successfully tracked him down. Despite never seeing the film and, understandably, not even remembering the song he had sung over 40 years previous, Carter was pleased with the album’s success, and was present at the benefit concert held in Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, which featured repeat performances by the other performers from the soundtrack

I really enjoy listening to that song: Po Lazarus

good ol' songs are the best to sing along in a fuzzy bar :D

The story of James Carter

As of 1959, Carter was serving time at the Mississippi State Penitentiary in Lambert for charges unknown. In a southern field excursion at Camp B, Carter and the other prisoners in his chain gang were spending the day chopping wood. Carter began singing an old spiritual, “Po’ Lazarusâ€, and the other prisoners joined in, chopping the logs in time to the music. Folk music historian Alan Lomax happened to be present at the time, and was able to take a photograph of the prisoners and make a recording of the music, which he donated to a music archive.

Decades later, the recording was purchased for use in the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack, which went on to win a Grammy for Album of the Year. During this, it was discovered by the producers that Carter was still alive, and they successfully tracked him down. Despite never seeing the film and, understandably, not even remembering the song he had sung over 40 years previous, Carter was pleased with the album’s success, and was present at the benefit concert held in Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, which featured repeat performances by the other performers from the soundtrack

I really enjoy listening to that song: Po Lazarus

I recently read a book that sounds like maybe some of it was based on this story.

"Last Car To Elysian Fields" by James Lee Burke. Loved it - he's a great writer, IMO

Folk music historian Alan Lomax happened to be present at the time, and was able to take a photograph of the prisoners and make a recording of the music, which he donated to a music archive.

If I could go back in time, I'd like to hang with Alan Lomax . Just to be present at SOME of those field recordings!

:bow:

I don't know how many of you have heard of that "Classic Albums" series that is usually aired on Vh1 Classic, but I have the episode on The Doors self-titled debut and it's really amazing to hear them all talk about how everything came together. That's the only episode I don't have on DVD; I downloaded it to my computer. The ones I DO have on DVD are the following:

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Metallica - Metallica (the Black album)

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Radiohead were influenced by Naomi Klein's book 'No Logo' when recording two of their albums.

I'm so glad I'm not a fan of them, because if I were, this would kill me :doh: Anticonsumerism is a conceited facade adopted by bored first-worlders. Sure big corporations can be evil and suck etc., but it's biting the hand that feeds you to dis the people who are... 'consumerists' because without them you wouldn't be so 'cool' now, would you?

Also - Converse, Doc Martens, and Levi's - throw those out of your wardrobe and then talk.