Random Music Thoughts V

Mike

I watched the 2 hour inauguration special today, and have some random thoughts:

1) Mary J. Blige might be the best singer out there right now. She did "Lean On Me," and it was probably the only performance that could be released as a single.

2) U2 is so successful because they split their publishing royalties equally. This means that when Bono lets his ego run wild, Larry Mullen doesn't care because he's getting 25%. All for one and one for all.

3) How were Shakira and Will.i.am invited, but not Wyclef?

4) Stevie Wonder is winding down a brilliant career with style and substance. It's a joy to see him still performing.

5) They didn't play "Celebration." I'm hoping that Obama banned it forever.

6) Garth Brooks singing "American Pie" and "Shout" in front of a choir didn't work. At All.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On this lonely evening, I was wondering, what is the longest song?

I found this on Yahoo answers

According to Guiness, "The Devil Glitch" (69 minutes) is the longest pop song.

http://www.nutscape.com/ChrisButler/guinness.htm

The second site claims it is "Aleph-nought bottles of beer on the wall" which you repeat until you pass out.

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/long165.html

The third site claims it is "Longplayer," a 1000 year long piece of music which started to play on January 1st of 2000 and will continue to play, without repetition, until December 31st 2999, when it will come back to the point at which it began - and begin again.

http://www.filter27.com/archives/2007/05/longplayer.php

The Longest Song Title is claimed to be - "The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus, The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation "

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/long170.html

The third site claims it is "Longplayer," a 1000 year long piece of music which started to play on January 1st of 2000 and will continue to play, without repetition, until December 31st 2999, when it will come back to the point at which it began - and begin again.

http://www.filter27.com/archives/2007/05/longplayer.php

From the "Longplayer" site: Technology

At present, Longplayer is being performed by a computer. However, it was created with a full awareness of the inevitable obsolescence of this technology, and is not in itself bound to the computer or any other technological form.

Although the computer is a cheap and accurate device on which Longplayer can play, it is important – in order to legislate for its survival – that a medium outside the digital realm be found. To this end, one objective from the earliest stages of its development has been to research alternative methods of performance, including mechanical, non-electrical and human-operated versions. Among these is a graphical score for six people and 234 singing bowls. A live performance from this score is being prepared for September 2009. See here for more information.

can someone who is more technoligically astute than me please put this into 3-year-old's terms? The logic escapes me: if this is being done on a computer - and a single computer - regardless of the inevitable obsolescence of the machine, there is certain to be breakdowns, and when the transition takes place somewhere along the line the sound itself will have to stop, surely...?

• 2 weeks later...

His words didn't always match up with what he was singing. Other people pointed out that he was lip-synching, but I was confused by this because he changed the lyrics to "Glory Days" to include football references. Unless he had recorded the songs earlier and then lip-synched them on the stage. I think the artists at the Super Bowl half-time show are required to lip-synch to prevent mistakes with that large of an audience.

The Jonas Brothers were on Saturday Night Live last night. They were pretty good, and I was wondering if this was a good sign for their career since it's an adult audience. Then I remembered that Hanson was also on the show, so it's not a sure thing. Hanson actually did one of the great SNL skits of all time when they were kidnapped and forced to listen to "MMM Bop" over and over until they snapped.

Hanson, BTW, gets a bad rap. They've made some real good music but couldn't shake the image.

• 2 weeks later...

all the winners of the 2009 NME awards:

Godlike Genius: The Cure

Best British Band: Oasis supported by Shockwaves

Best Internationsl Band: The Killers supported by 4music

Best Solo Artist: Pete Doherty

Best New Band: MGMT supported by Bench

Best Live Band: Muse supported by Red Stripe

Best Album: Kings Of Leon ‘Only By The Night’ supported by HMV

Outstanding Contribution To British Music: Elbow

Best Track: MGMT ‘Time To Pretend’ supported by NME Radio

Best Video: Last Shadow Puppets ‘My Mistakes Were Made For You’ supported by NME TV

Best Live Event: Glastonbury 2008

Best TV: ‘The Mighty Boosh’

Phillip Hall Radar Award: The Big Pink

Best Dancefloor Filler: Dizzee Rascal featuring Calvin Harris and Chrome – 'Dance Wiv Me'

Best DVD: Arctic Monkeys – 'Live At The Apollo'

Best Band Blog: Oasis' Noel Gallagher

Best Venue: London Astoria

Best Album Artwork Muse 'HAARP'

Hero Of The Year: Barack Obama

Villain Of The Year: George W Bush

Best Dressed: Alexa Chung

Worst Dressed: Amy Winehouse

Worst Album: The Jonas Brothers – 'A Little Bit Longer'

Worst Band: the Jonas Brothers

Sexiest Male: Muse's Matt Bellamy

Sexiest Female: Paramore's Hayley Williams

Best Website: YouTube

• 4 weeks later...

Today's show:

Tom Petty – Into the Great Wide Open

Bell x1 – The Great Defector

The Who – Behind Blue Eyes

Mastadon – Just Got Paid

Soundgarden – Outshined

The Decemberists – The Rake's Song

Flogging Molly – Float

Dan Deacon – Paddling Ghost

Neil Young – Down by the River

Ramblin' Jack Elliot – How Long Blues

Gaelic Storm – Don’t Go for the One

Van Halen – Jump

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, absolutely.

6/8 is essentially 2/2 (two beats per bar), but with each beat subdivided into three smaller ones as opposed to the usual two.

3/4, on the other hand, is has three beats per bar.

so 6/8 goes "STRONG weak weak MEDIUM weak weak"

and 3/4 goes "STRONG weak weak"

6/8 is usually counted in two, so it is very different.

I never really figured this out for quite a while, it is very confusing.