Random Music Thoughts V

Mike

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fool... you might be interested in the interview I did with Billy Montana, who is a hugely successful writer in Nashville (see Songwriter Interviews on the Main Page).

The section I'm referring to is where he told me about his song "Suds In The Bucket," and how they took liberal use of the English (American?) language for poetic justice.

Billy: We say, “little pony-tail girl growed up to be a woman.†Bob Dylan put in a song, I think it’s a line that goes, “something I never knowed.†Because he was rhyming it with “road.†And so I was like, well, man, it can be done. This was kind of funny because my daughter pointed out to us one time, we were listening to a Neil Diamond song, and it’s the one about “song she brang to me,†he says “B-R-A-N-G, brang,†to rhyme with sang, and rang. And so my daughter was like, “That’s not a word, ‘brang.’†And I’m like, Oh my gosh, I never noticed that. So Jenai and I, we were writing, we’re like, man, that’s cool.

Plus, my favorite guy, Roger Clyne, did a song a few years back called "Switchblade," and he does the same sort of thing. He sings, "Yeah, dumb and drunk as we was, you know we'd do it all again, before we buried a switchblade with each of my friends." So it's more phonetically pleasing to say "was" as opposed to the grammatically correct "were," and is considered poetic justice, I suppose.

Edited by Guest
fix a typo

Fool... you might be interested in the interview I did with Billy Montana, who is a hugely successful writer in Nashville (see Songwriter Interviews on the Main Page).

The section I'm referring to is where he told me about his song "Suds In The Bucket," and how they took liberal use of the English (American?) language for poetic justice.

Billy: We say, “little pony-tail girl growed up to be a woman.†Bob Dylan put in a song, I think it’s a line that goes, “something I never knowed.†Because he was rhyming it with “road.†And so I was like, well, man, it can be done. This was kind of funny because my daughter pointed out to us one time, we were listening to a Neil Diamond song, and it’s the one about “song she brang to me,†he says “B-R-A-N-G, brang,†to rhyme with sang, and rang. And so my daughter was like, “That’s not a word, ‘brang.’†And I’m like, Oh my gosh, I never noticed that. So Jenai and I, we were writing, we’re like, man, that’s cool.

Plus, my favorite guy, Roger Clyne, did a song a few years back called "Switchblade," and he does the same sort of thing. He sings, "Yeah, dumb and drunk as we was, you know we'd do it all again, before we buried a switchblade with each of my friends." So it's more phonetically pleasing to say "was" as opposed to the grammatically correct "were," and is considered poetic justice, I suppose.

Yeah, it sort of seems to fit in a little better in those cases though. It's part of the slang they were using, so it doesn't seem weird.

The error in the Doors song just seems lazy, and it really doesn't fit in with the Doors' style.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...