Mike

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[smaller]from Wikipedia:[/smaller]

" In mid-1966, after Van Morrison left Them, he pursued a highly-successful solo career. The rest of the band regrouped back in Belfast and recruited Kenny McDowell (ex-Mad Lads) as singer. They continued touring and recording steadily after relocating to the USA in early 1967. Two of these post-Morrison albums, Now and Them and Time Out! Time In for Them, found the band experimenting with psychedelia. This line-up then disbanded, after which (Alan) Henderson hired session musicians for two later, and much more considered efforts, where Them settled into a hard rock vein not too dissimilar from Uriah Heep. Sadly for the group, these efforts met with consumer indifference, and by 1972 the band had dissolved …

Them reunited briefly in 1979, without Morrison, and recorded another album, Shut Your Mouth. "

More

THEM.gif

Z_Freewheelin.jpgY_jamesdean_NYC.jpg

While perusing photos for future youtubes, I came across a couple of interesting photos...

"During the 1963 photoshoot for the cover of Bob Dylan's second album, THE FREEWHEELIN' BOB DYLAN, Dylan reportedly wanted to re-create Roy Schatt's 1954 photo of James Dean walking down the middle of West 68th St. in New York City".

and more...

3_dylan_austferry_best.jpg2_dylan_austferry_tidalflat.jpg

(left) "The full, wide shot of Dylan at the Aust Ferry terminal." (right) "Another view of the Aust moment, rarely shown, of Dylan looking across the tidal flat."

Bob-Dylan-No-Direction-Home.jpg13_today.jpg

(left) the DVD cover. (right) "Today, where Dylan awaited the Severn Princess, then note the Severn Bridge in the background."

:cool:

[smaller]from a[/smaller] Tribute to Dylan [smaller]website:[/smaller]

" Bob's second idol was killed in a car wreck in 1955 and it was James Dean who made a big impression on the young Zimmerman. Just like today, a teenager found a role model whom he identified with and whose lifestyle he tried to copy. A friend of Bob's said he must have seen the movie Rebel Without a Cause at least four times and that Bob was one of the first kids in Hibbing to sport a red jacket like Dean's. Bob collected Dean memorabilia and displayed it in a basement room of the house. Later his parents replaced the items with those of Bob Dylan, the star. "

I took the Rolling Stone Readers' Poll yesterday, and there's a category for "Worst Song of The Year." Here are the nominees:

Panic! at the Disco, "Nine in the Afternoon"

Pussycat Dolls, "When I Grow Up"

Flobots, "Handlebars"

Sara Bareilles, "Love Song"

Kanye West, "Love Lockdown"

Mariah Carey, "Touch My Body"

Metro Station, "Shake It"

Natasha Bedingfield, "Pocket Full of Sunshine"

Jason Mraz, "I'm Yours"

Ray J and Yung Berg, "Sexy Can I"

Katy Perry, "I Kissed A Girl"

Should I feel bad about liking most of these songs? Granted, I'm probably in the minority in my appreciation for "I Kissed A Girl," but doesn't everybody love "Handlebars"?

Here's the nominees for worst lyric:

I'm sorry I have to say, I'm too drunk to f*ck you" - Buckcherry's "Too Drunk"

"I won't attend your pity party/ I'd rather go have calamari – Ne-Yo's "So You Can Cry"

"Are we human, or are we dancer?" - The Killers's "Human"

"You look so much cuter with something in your mouth" - Nickelback's "Something In Your Mouth"

"I kissed a girl and I liked it, The taste of her cherry chapstick" - Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl"

Granted, I'm probably in the minority in my appreciation for "I Kissed A Girl," but doesn't everybody love "Handlebars"?

yes, you probably are ;) :jester:

as for Handlebars, I wouldn't say I love it, but I definitely wouldn't put it among the worst songs of '08

"Are we human, or are we dancer?" - The Killers's "Human"

that's the line that immediatly came to my mind when I saw "worst lyrics" :D

Sara Bareilles, "Love Song"

Jason Mraz, "I'm Yours"

Katy Perry, "I Kissed A Girl"

I disagree with these three being on that list. I quite like them all.

"Love Song" I didn't much like at first until I heard what she had written it about... now I appreciate it much more. :)

At 4 o'clock in the morning when you're so Timmed that all you can do is lay on the couch and watch the ceiling warp and turn, "Bittersweet Symphony" sounds like the deepest song ever written. That's the last thing I remember before falling asleep at the New Year's Eve party I went to.