The Songfactors' Choice "Top Live Albums of All Time"

Lucky

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laurie, thank you sooooo much for doing those for me. :bow: :bow: :bow: I loved the Wayne's World quote! Now, when they both make the list, we can raise a mutual pint. :grin:

On another note: I'm off to the alchemist to make a lethal purchase of... something. I don't yet know what, but if it'll put me out of my current misery, it'll suffice. :crazy:

crhi78274-2.jpg

WAITING FOR COLUMBUS ~ LITTLE FEAT

Recorded at the Rainbow Theatre, in London and The Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University in Washington, D.C. in 1977, Released 1978.

Sides 1 and 2

1. Join the Band

2. Fat Man in the Bathtub **

3. All That You Dream

4. Oh Atlanta **

5. Old Folks Boogie

6. Time Loves a Hero

7. Day or Night

8. Mercenary Territory

9. Spanish Moon

Sides 3 and 4

1. Dixie Chicken **

2. Rocket in My Pocket

4. Willin' / 5. Don't Bogart That Joint **

6. A Apolitical Blues ** (features Mick Taylor on guitar)

7. Sailin' Shoes

8. Feats Don't Fail Me Now

*all the above clips are concert footage from the 1976/77 tour

Little Feat was one of the legendary live bands of the '70s, showered with praise by not only their small, fiercely dedicated cult of fans, but such fellow musicians as Bonnie Raitt, Robert Palmer, and Jimmy Page. Given all that acclaim, it only made sense for the group to cut a live album. Unfortunately, they waited until 1977, when the group had entered its decline, but as the double-album Waiting for Columbus proves, Little Feat in its decline was still pretty great. Certainly, the group is far more inspired on stage than they were in the studio after 1975 - just compare "All That You Dream," "Oh Atlanta," "Old Folks' Boogie," "Time Loves a Hero," and "Mercenary Territory" here to the cuts on The Last Record Album and Time Loves a Hero. The versions on Waiting are full-bodied and fully-realized, putting the studio cuts to shame. Early classics like "Fat Man in the Bathtub" and "Tripe Face Boogie" aren't as revelatory, but it's still a pleasure to hear a great band run through their best songs, stretching them out and finding new quirks within them. There's much to savor on Waiting for Columbus, one of the great live albums of its era, thanks to rich performances that prove Little Feat were one of the great live bands of their time.

I'm here to represent the Britpop scene :beatnik:

Next up:

Familiar To Millions - Oasis

ejsc2s.jpg

Track List

Disc one

"Fuckin' in the Bushes" (intro tape) – 3:04

"Go Let It Out" – 5:32

"Who Feels Love?" – 5:59

"Supersonic" – 4:30

"Shakermaker" – 5:13

"Acquiesce" – 4:18

"Step Out" (Gallagher/Wonder/Cosby/Moy) – 4:05

"Gas Panic!" – 8:01

"Roll With It" – 4:43

"Stand by Me" – 5:49

Disc two

"Wonderwall" – 4:46

"Cigarettes & Alcohol" – 6:52

"Don't Look Back in Anger" – 5:27

"Live Forever" – 5:09

"Hey Hey, My My" (Young) – 3:45

"Champagne Supernova" – 6:32

"Rock 'n' Roll Star" – 7:26

"Helter Skelter" (Lennon/McCartney) – 6:32

What the...?

Oasis' concert at Wembley Stadium in 2000 in album form.

But why...?

Why? Because Oasis may get a lot of flak for their attitude, but when they say they're a great band, they're absolutely right. Listen to Gas Panic! and see if it doesn't send shivers down your spine.

What tongueless ghost of sin crept through my curtains?

Sailing on a sea of sweat on a stormy night

I don't know it... so I won't listen to it.

You're not getting away that easily

Live Forever

Maybe I will never be,

All the things that I'd like to be

Don't Look Back In Anger

You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out

(*Audience sings chorus*

Noel: "If you weren't out of tune, you would be good :thumbsup:")

Hey Hey, My My

Out of the blue and into the black

Champage Supernova

the world's still spinning around,

we don't know why...

I'm here to represent the Britpop scene :beatnik:

Next up:

Familiar To Millions - Oasis

ejsc2s.jpg

Track List

Disc one

"Fuckin' in the Bushes" (intro tape) – 3:04

"Go Let It Out" – 5:32

"Who Feels Love?" – 5:59

"Supersonic" – 4:30

"Shakermaker" – 5:13

"Acquiesce" – 4:18

"Step Out" (Gallagher/Wonder/Cosby/Moy) – 4:05

"Gas Panic!" – 8:01

"Roll With It" – 4:43

"Stand by Me" – 5:49

Disc two

"Wonderwall" – 4:46

"Cigarettes & Alcohol" – 6:52

"Don't Look Back in Anger" – 5:27

"Live Forever" – 5:09

"Hey Hey, My My" (Young) – 3:45

"Champagne Supernova" – 6:32

"Rock 'n' Roll Star" – 7:26

"Helter Skelter" (Lennon/McCartney) – 6:32

What the...?

Oasis' concert at Wembley Stadium in 2000 in album form.

But why...?

Why? Because Oasis may get a lot of flak for their attitude, but when they say they're a great band, they're absolutely right. Listen to Gas Panic! and see if it doesn't send shivers down your spine.

What tongueless ghost of sin crept through my curtains?

Sailing on a sea of sweat on a stormy night

I don't know it... so I won't listen to it.

You're not getting away that easily

Live Forever

Maybe I will never be,

All the things that I'd like to be

Don't Look Back In Anger

You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out

(*Audience sings chorus*

Noel: "If you weren't out of tune, you would be good :thumbsup:")

Hey Hey, My My

Out of the blue and into the black

Champage Supernova

the world's still spinning around,

we don't know why...

:bow: :bow: :bow: :grin:

20Englishmen.jpg

The wiki is awesome on this album: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Dogs_and_Englishmen_%28album%29

After researching on you tube and re-watching footage from the rockumentary that I haven't seen in years, I've fallen in love with this album all over again. Can you imagine actually seeing it live! :o :coolio: :drummer: (where's the piano smiley? :grin: )

Track listing

1. "Introduction" – 0:44

2. "Honky Tonk Women" (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) – 3:47

3. "Introduction" – 0:17

4. "Sticks and Stones" (Titus Turner/Henry Glover) – 2:37

5. "Cry Me a River" (Arthur Hamilton) – 4:00

6. "Bird on the Wire" (Leonard Cohen) – 6:37

7. "Feelin' Alright" (Dave Mason) – 5:47

8. "Superstar" (Leon Russell/Bonnie Bramlett) – 5:02

9. "Introduction" – 0:16

10. "Let's Go Get Stoned" (Valerie Simpson/Nikalaus Ashford/Joseph Armstead) – 7:30

11. "Blue Medley" – 12:46

1. a. "I'll Drown in My Own Tears" (Henry Glover)

2. b. "When Something Is Wrong with My Baby" (Isaac Hayes/David Porter)

3. c. "I've Been Loving You Too Long" (Otis Redding/Jerry Butler)

12. "Introduction" – 0:21

13. "Girl from the North Country" (Bob Dylan) – 2:32

14. "Give Peace a Chance" (Leon Russell/Bonnie Bramlett) – 4:14

15. "Introduction" – 0:41

16. "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" (John Lennon/Paul McCartney) – 3:01

17. "Space Captain: (Matthew Moore) – 5:15

18. "The Letter" (Wayne Carson Thompson) – 4:46

19. "Delta Lady" (Leon Russell) – 5:40

On the deluxe edition:

With a Little Help From My Friends

leon-russell.jpg

From allmusic:

Listening to this CD brings back a lot of memories. Mad Dogs & Englishmen was just about the most elaborate album that A&M Records had ever released, back in 1971, a double LP in a three-panel, fold-out, gatefold sleeve, with almost 80 minutes of music inside and a ton of photos, graphics, and annotation wrapping around it. A live recording done in tandem with a killer documentary film of the same U.S. tour, it was recorded at the Fillmore East, where the movie was a cross-country affair, and the two were, thus, completely separate entities -- also, as people couldn't "buy" the film in those days, the double LP has lingered longer in the memory, by virtue of its being on shelves, and also being taken off those shelves to be played. Unlike a lot of other "coffee table"-type rock releases of the era, such as Woodstock and The Concert for Bangladesh, people actually listened to Mad Dogs & Englishmen -- most of its content was exciting, and its sound, a veritable definition of big-band rock with three dozen players working behind the singer, was unique. The CD offers a seriously good sound, whether it's just Joe Cocker and a pianist and organist in the opening of "Bird on a Wire," or the entire band going full-tilt on "Cry Me a River"; the remastering was set at a high volume level and there was a decent amount of care taken to get the detail right, so you can appreciate the presence of the multiple drummers, and the legion of guitarists and singers, plus the multiple keyboard players. The lead guitar and solo piano on "Feelin' Alright," for example, come through, but so do the 34 other players and singers behind the lead. This record was also just as much a showcase for Leon Russell as it was for Joe Cocker, which A&M probably didn't mind a bit, as Russell was selling millions of records at the time. As is now known, and it's recounted in the new notes, the tour from which this album was drawn all but wiped out Joe Cocker -- on a psychic level -- because the music was presented on such a vast scale (and there is a moment in the movie where he mentions breaking up his former backing group, the Grease Band, with a hint of regret in his voice) and his own contribution was so muted by Russell's work as arranger and bandleader. He may well have been the "victim" of a "hijacking" of sorts, but the musical results, apart from the dubious "Give Peace a Chance," are difficult to argue about upon hearing this record anew, decades after the fact -- it's almost all bracing and beautiful.

With special thanks to Bluesy :grin:

8f2e224128a0369c856e9010L.jpg

Edited by Guest
all done :)

SPECIAL NOTE: It's agreed most of us like the idea of doing a list of 10, so we're going to give it a shot, as long as the number of nominations support a list that size. It isn't much fun doing a list of ten, from 20 or less nominations. We've decided that a list of 30 however, is very do-able. For that, we need 15 participants. We're going on the assumption that this will be a list of 10, because the participation has been growing the past few months. If for some reason, we don't get the numbers needed for a Top Ten, we'll just automatically revert to the "default" of 5. Sound ok ?? So, lets go.... :)

It's not much fun to choose 10 from ONLY 26 selections.