The Songfactors' Choice "Top Live Albums of All Time"

Lucky

csny-4way-street-15.jpg

4 WAY STREET

4 Way Street is Crosby Stills Nash & Young's first live album, released in 1971. It was released and shipped gold, it peaking at #1 on the Billboard Charts. Recorded the summer of '70 at 3 venues, The Fillmore East, The Chicago Auditorium, and The Forum in Los Angeles. The album contains live performances from that tour, as well as solo contributions from each of the band members. It's a mixture of acoustic & electric and is very politically slanted, true to the bands feelings and motivation of the times. The album is still relevant today, this being an election year, dominated by Democratic headlines as it is. The antiwar sentiment as well as the sentiment of the nation today make it relevant as well.

I've included here some cuts from the album, a couple of live cuts from the artists at the time, as well as a couple of the studio versions... just because the songs need to be heard, again, and again.

Side One:

1. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (0.33/Stills)

2. On The way Home (3.19/Young)

3. Teach Your Children (2.46/Nash)

4. Triad (5.07/Crosby)

5. The Lee Shore (4.14/Crosby)

6. Chicago (3.03/Nash)

Side Two:

1. Right Between the Eyes (2.19/Nash)

2. Cowgirl In The Sand (3.50/Young)

3. Don't Let It Bring You Down (2.35/Young)

4. 49 Bye Byes/America's Children (including live version of For What it's Worth)(5.30/Stills) Interview with Stills & Young

5. Love The One You're With (2:57/Stills)

csny-4way-street-17.jpg (inner cover of the gatefold album)

Side Three:

1. Pre Road Downs (2.48/Nash)

2. Long Time Gone (5.33/Crosby)

3. Southern Man (13.15/Young)

Side Four:

1. Ohio (Young)

2. Carry On (Stills)

3. Find The Cost of Freedom (2.16/Stills)

Cuts from the expanded version released in 1992:

Black Queen (6.45/Stills)

Laughing (3.36/Crosby)

csny-4way-street-16.jpg

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

leedshk7.jpg

[big]Live At Leeds -- The Who[/big]

1. Young Man Blues (Mose Allison)

2. Substitute (Pete Townshend)

3. Summertime Blues (Jerry Capeheart, Eddie Cochran)

4. Shakin' All Over (Johnny Kidd)

5. My Generation (Townshend)

6. Magic Bus (Townshend)

The Who may not be the best band ever, but they're certainly the best live band ever.

After they'd been on tour with Tommy for several months straight and played Woodstock not too long ago, they decided that it was time for a live album. Since no one wanted to listen to the hours of tape they'd accumulated throughout the tour, and their manager thought that touring is so much rawer and seedier than album titles like "Live at the London Palladium" or "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" suggest, it was decided that two up-coming gigs would be recorded and one of them would be released. Things didn't go that well in Hull, so on Valentine's Day 1970 Leeds Uni was treated to witnessing a legendary performance. Compared to some other live performances (check out Live at the Isle of Wight, recorded the same year), they sound a little restrained at times, but restrained is not really a word that applies to The Who. It certainly didn't cross my mind when I first listened to the album... and it still doesn't. But by restrained I also mean that everything just works - at the first, superficial listen it may sound a bit like the ceiling comes crashing down, but beneath that you've got three musicians who can play their instruments like no others, and the only singer in the world who would ever be able to compete with the noise and power they create. You haven't heard real passionate drumming or a loud bass till you've heard this record, and what Pete Townshend is doing isn't called power chords for nothing. Add to that Roger Daltrey, and you'll find out why they made the Guiness Book of World Records for being the Loudest Band on the planet.

The original album is rather short, but you've also got two rereleases to choose from - one of them a double CD containing almost all of Tommy. The longer the better of course, but Live at Leeds is the best live album of all times even without the other 27 songs.

Young Man Blues

Thewho.net: Mose Allison's blues song, which he first recorded in 1957, is given a whole new lease of life in The Who's violent stop-start reading. It's attack and counter attack, with Keith leading the assault against Roger's vocals, John contributing his usual high speed runs and Pete slashing away on a hot blues riff until the solos allow him to stretch out. The version here is tighter and more assured than usual, not quite as long as The Who sometimes played it but hugely impressive as a showcase for improvised streams that slide apart and reconnect with effortless precision.

Shakin' All Over

Possibly my favourite song off this album, the deluxe edition included. This band sure knows how to keep their audience captivated... and how to PLAY :rockon:

Sparks

It's Sparks... it's live... that's all you need to know.

And here's a gem... actual, original footage of the gig:

Christmas/We're Not Gonna Take It

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

DH suggested I nominate this one when I could'nt decide and asked him for input. Way to go DH :thumbsup: I will be nominating AC/DC live as my next album. I will put it up this evening.

Please, please, please let us choose ten this time. begging.gif

"Nobody's Perfect" - Deep Purple (1988)

Disc 1

"Highway Star" - 6:10

"Strange Kind of Woman" - 7:34

"Dead or Alive" (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover) - 7:05 *

"Perfect Strangers" (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover) - 6:24

"Hard Lovin' Woman" (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover) - 5:03

"Bad Attitude" (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Lord) - 5:30 *

"Knocking at Your Back Door" (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover) - 11:24

Disc 2

"Child in Time" - 10:36

"Lazy" - 5:10

"Space Truckin'" - 6:02 *

"Black Night" - 6:06

"Woman from Tokyo" - 3:59

"Smoke on the Water" - 7:43

"Hush" (Joe South) - 3:32

All songs written by Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice except where indicated.

Recorded on Deep Purple's "House Of Blue Light Tour" (1987/1988). Two-CD set with blistering 8-minute version of "Smoke On The Water" and 11 1/2-minute version of "Knocking At Your Back Door".

Personnel

Ian Gillan - vocals, congas, harmonica

Ritchie Blackmore - guitar

Jon Lord - organ, keyboards

Roger Glover - bass

Ian Paice - drums

Produced by Roger Glover and Deep Purple

Engineer : Nick Davis

ACDCLive_ACDCalbum.jpg

From Wiki:

Live is a 1992 album by Australian hard rock band, AC/DC. It was released both as a single album and as a double album (known as Live: 2 CD Collector's Edition). The album has been considered the closest thing to a greatest hits album in the AC/DC catalogue. The album was re-released in 2003 as part of the AC/DC Remasters

series.

Track listing

1. "Thunderstruck" (The Razors Edge) (Angus Young, Malcolm Young) 6:34

2. "Shoot to Thrill" (Back in Black) - 5:21

3. "Back in Black" (Back in Black) - 4:28

4. "Who Made Who" (Who Made Who) - 5:15

5. "Heatseeker" (Blow Up Your Video) - 3:37

6. "The Jack" (T.N.T.) (Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Bon Scott) - 6:56

7. "Moneytalks" (The Razors Edge) (Angus Young, Malcolm Young) - 4:18 8. "Hells Bells" (Back in Black) - 6:01

9. "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" (Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Bon Scott) - 5:02

10."Whole Lotta Rosie" (Let There Be Rock) (Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Bon Scott) - 4:30

11."You Shook Me All Night Long" (Back in Black)3:54

12."Highway to Hell" (Highway to Hell) (Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Bon Scott) - 3:58

13."T.N.T." (T.N.T.) (Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Bon Scott) - 3:47

14."For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" (For Those About to Rock) - 7:18

All songs written by Angus Young, Malcolm Young and Brian Johnson except where noted.

How much longer do I have to submit my applause and rave reviews for my nominations? I'm ridiculously ill right now and unless this fever goes away in the next 24 hours I'm checking out.

Seriously... Laurie - if you would like to do writeups for me on my nominations that would fabuloso, since they're both albums that you wanted to nominate, also.

If not, though, no worries. Hopefully I'll be in better shape soon in enough time to write them up. :crazy:

Shawna's nomination:

:rockon: :rockon: :guitar: :rockon: :rockon:

Frampton_Comes_Alive.jpg

Track listing

All songs written by Peter Frampton except as noted.

Original release

"Something's Happening" – 5:41

"Doobie Wah" – 5:28

"Show Me the Way" – 4:42

"It's a Plain Shame" – 4:21

"All I Want to Be (Is by Your Side)" – 3:27

"Wind of Change" – 2:47

"Baby, I Love Your Way" – 4:43

"I Wanna Go to the Sun" – 7:02

"Penny for Your Thoughts" – 1:23

"(I'll Give You) Money" – 5:39

"Shine On" – 3:35

"Jumping Jack Flash" – 7:45

"Lines on My Face" – 7:06

"Do You Feel Like We Do"

With that, here is the obligatory Wayne's World quote: "Exqueese me? Have I seen this one before? "Frampton Comes Alive"? Everybody in the world has Frampton Comes Alive. If you lived in the suburbs you were issued it. It came in the mail with samples of "Tide". :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Frampton was my very first concert....He was very good live, puts on a great show...I can remember during "Do You Feel Like We Do" holding up our lighters and waving them in the air...yep, those were good times.....One of the many great guitarists IMO also...this album has all the songs that show that also.....

Shawna, hope you're feeling better to tell us why this album is special to you also...Oh and I hope I did okay...

:):P

And the other great nomination by Shawna:

cheaptricknbs0.jpg

At Budokan (Cheap Trick album)

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

From Wikipedia

Live album by Cheap Trick

Released 1979

Recorded April 28, 1978, at the Budokan, Tokyo, Japan

Genre Rock

Length 42:27

Label Epic

Producer Cheap Trick

Professional reviews

All Music Guide [1]

All Music Guide Re-issue

At Budokan is a live album recorded by Cheap Trick in 1978.

Illinois rock band Cheap Trick found early success in Japan, and capitalized on this popularity by recording At Budokan in Japan on April 28, 1978 (see 1978 in music) with hordes of screaming young Japanese girls nearly drowning out the band at times. This album (which appeared in Japan many months before being issued in the U. S. where it had sold briskly as a Japanese import, and which was issued with a concert program in both English and Japanese) broke the band into global pop stardom with their first hits. The hit single "I Want You to Want Me" reached number seven on the Billboard charts, and was the group's biggest hit at the time. "Ain't That a Shame" also charted, reaching number 35. Epic Records, 1979 (see 1979 in music). The album also introduced Tom Petersson's composition "Need Your Love" (the band had just finished recording their fourth album Dream Police, thus a studio version of "Need Your Love" would be included on that album). The album peaked at #26 in the Swedish Charts [2]

The album was re-released in 1998 as At Budokan: The Complete Concert, remastered and fully restored to include all the concert tracks left off of the original album. While it's missing "Stiff Competition", "On Top of the World", and "How Are You?", that were recorded at Budokan and released on Budokan II (1993), these songs were recorded in 1979 during their follow-up tour.

In 2003, the album was ranked number 430 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Contents

1 Track listing

1.1 Re-issue track listing

1.1.1 Disc one

1.1.2 Disc two

2 Credits

Track listing

"Hello There"

"Come On Come On"

"Look Out"

"Big Eyes"

"Need Your Love"