The Songfactors' Choice "Top Live Albums of All Time"

Lucky

WELCOME TO THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE: TOP LIVE ALBUMS of ALL TIME! :)

*ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO PARTICIPATE * Please join us, and share your knowledge and your love of the thing that keeps SONGFACTS the community we all know and love. MUSIC ! The basic guidelines are simple....

* The Songfactors' Music of Choice is decided by your nominations and votes. For each edition we'll ask that you nominate 1 OR 2 selections that meet the guidelines for that edition.

* With each nomination, we ask that you give us a review, a few thoughts or just a description of how your selection makes you feel. No one is being graded on their writing here. What we want is for you to share your knowledge and feelings about the music you love.

* Each edition will about 3 weeks. At the end of that time, we'll ask you to vote. You know how that works! These lists will number 5, so we'll ask that you compile your list of 5 choices for the final Songfactor's Music of Choice. We will tally them, just like The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten, 1 through 5. At the close of voting, we will have our Songfactors' Music of Choice.

* Be as creative with this as you'd like. We want to encourage an exchange of thoughts, so this will be a place to learn about and enjoy the nominations, as well as the final choices. The guidelines will change with each edition.

..... Welcome To .....

THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE: Top Live Albums of All Time!

**SPECIAL NOTE: It's agreed most of us like the idea of doing a list of 10, so we're going to give it a shot, as long as the number of nominations support a list that size. It isn't much fun doing a list of ten, from 20 or less nominations. We've decided that a list of 30 however, is very do-able. For that, we need 15 participants. We're going on the assumption that this will be a list of 10, because the participation has been growing the past few months. If for some reason, we don't get the numbers needed for a Top Ten, we'll just automatically revert to the "default" of 5. Sound ok ?? So, lets go.... :)

GIVE US YOUR NOMINATIONS NOW! :thumbsup:

:headphones:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will nominate U2, "Under A Blood Red Sky".

415t3cj6c8lew2.jpg

I don´t like U2 but this album has something. It´s maybe magic... I don´t know. I´ll try to post more info later on, à have to go to work now... :beady:

Recorded between May and August 1983. Produced by Jimmy Iovine. It is the best-selling live recording ever in the UK, according Wikipèdia:

The album consists of live recordings from three shows on the band's War Tour. Although billed as "live from Red Rocks", only two of the tracks on the disc were recorded there. Album highlights include a fiery rendition of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (famously introduced by Bono with the words, "[t]his is not a rebel song") and a jaunty run-through of the B-side "Party Girl".

The phrase "Under a blood red sky" is taken from the lyrics of the song "New Year's Day", originally released on U2's War album.

"Gloria"

"11 O'Clock Tick Tock"

"I Will Follow"

"Party Girl"

"Sunday Bloody Sunday"

"The Electric Co."

"New Year's Day"

"40"

This album, "Live At Budokan" (Cheap Thricks) and "Get Yer Ya-Yes Out" (Rolling Stones) are some of the most exciting live albums I have ever heard, and I heard a lot...

LiveRust.jpg

1. Sugar Mountain (Live Album Version) 5:02

2. I Am A Child (Live Album Version) 3:00

3. Comes A Time (Live Album Version) 3:15

4. After The Gold Rush (Live Album Version) 3:48

5. My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue) (Live Album Version) 4:11

6. When You Dance I Can Really Love (Live Album Version) 3:42

7. The Loner (Live Album Version) 4:52

8. The Needle And The Damage Done (Live Album Version) 3:06

9. Lotta Love (Live Album Version) 2:51

10. Sedan Delivery (Live Album Version) 4:50

11. Powderfinger (Live Album Version) 5:43

12. Cortez The Killer (Live Album Version) 6:19

13. Cinammon Girl (Live Album Version) 3:21

14. Like A Hurricane (Live Album Version) 8:02

15. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) (Live Album Version) 4:37

16. Tonight's The Night (Live Album Version) 7:12

Cinnamon Girl

One of many favorites....From the first note, you know it's Neil...Great intro to this tune!

Comes A Time

Love the acoustic guitar, and harmonica...

ONE FOR THE ROAD - THE KINKS (1980

(The greatest live album ever recorded!)

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Opening – 1:43

Hard Way – 2:42 (recorded at The Barn, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, 3 March 1979)

Catch Me Now I'm Falling – 4:49 (recorded at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI, 23 September 1979)

Where Have All the Good Times Gone – 2:16 (recorded at Lowell Memorial Auditorium, Lowell, MA, 6 March 1979)

Introduction to Lola – 0:54 recorded at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI, 23 September 1979

Lola – 4:47 recorded at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI, 23 September 1979

Pressure – 1:31 recorded at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI, 23 September 1979

All Day and All of the Night – 3:45 (recorded at The Barn, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, 3 March 1979)

20th Century Man (deleted from original CD but reinstated on remastered CD)

Misfits – 6:17 (recorded at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI, 23 September 1979)

Prince of the Punks – 3:57

Stop Your Sobbing – 2:38

Low Budget – 5:57 (recorded at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI, 23 September 1979)

Attitude – 3:52 (recorded at The Volkhaus, Zürich, Switzerland, 11 November 1979)

(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman – 6:29 (recorded at The Volkhaus, Zürich, Switzerland, 11 November 1979)

National Health – 4:08

Till the End of the Day – 2:42

Celluloid Heroes – 7:22 (recorded at The Volkhaus, Zürich, Switzerland, 11 November 1979)

You Really Got Me – 3:35 (recorded at Lowell Memorial Auditorium, Lowell, MA, 6 March 1979)

Victoria – 2:34 (recorded at The Volkhaus, Zürich, Switzerland, 11 November 1979)

David Watts – 2:05

Ray Davies – guitar, vocals

Dave Davies – guitar, harmonica, keyboards, backing vocals

Ian Gibbons – keyboards, backing vocals

Mick Avory – drums

Jim Rodford – bass, backing vocals

Nick Newell – keyboards

*All tracks written by Ray Davies. Tracks not indicated recorded at Syracuse Area Landmark Theatre Syracuse, Syracuse, NY, 4 March 1980; Fine Arts Center, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA, 6 March 1980 and Southeastern Massachusetts University, North Dartmouth, MA, 7 March 1980.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

bobseger.jpg

"Nutbush City Limits" (Tina Turner) – 4:37

"Travelin' Man" – 4:53

"Beautiful Loser" – 4:00

"Jody Girl" – 4:28

"I've Been Working" (Van Morrison) – 4:35

"Turn the Page" – 5:05

"U.M.C. (Upper Middle Class)" – 3:17

"Bo Diddley" (Bo Diddley) – 5:40

"Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" – 3:01

"Heavy Music" – 8:14

"Katmandu" – 6:23

"Lookin' Back" – 2:36

"Get Out of Denver" – 5:21

"Let It Rock" (Chuck Berry) – 8:30

My sister got me to listen to this when we were younger, and I loved it!!!! She played the heck out of this album...Seger Rocks :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

The Allman Brothers Band

At Fillmore East

Front Cover

allman_fill_F.jpg

Back Cover

allman_fill_B.jpg

Recorded over 2 nights March 12th and 13th 1971 this album shows just how good a guitarist Duane Allman was.

The 6 piece ('71) band had twin lead guitars and 2 drummers.

Dynamite blues covers of Blind Willie McTell's Statesboro Blues, Elmore James' Done Somebody Wrong and a jazzy rendition of T-Bone Walker's Stormy Monday.

A scalding 20 minute rendition of Willie Cobb's You Don't Love Me where Duane just tears it up...

and the most exciting version of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

Track listing

At Fillmore East

" Statesboro Blues " (Will McTell) – 4:17

" Done Somebody Wrong " (Clarence L. Lewis, Bobby Robinson, Elmore James) – 4:33

" Stormy Monday " (T. Bone Walker) – 8:44 (14 day temporary audio file)

"You Don't Love Me" (Willie Cobbs) – 19:15 (Soul Serenade/Joy To The World Medley in the ending portions)

" Hot 'Lanta " (Gregg Allman, Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Butch Trucks, Berry Oakley, Jai Johanny Johanson) – 5:17 (14 day temporary audio file)

" In Memory of Elizabeth Reed " (Betts) – 13:04 (14 day temporary audio file)

"Whipping Post" (G. Allman) – 22:56

How The West Was Won

LedZeppelinHowTheWestWasWoncover.jpg

Disc one

1. "LA Drone" (Jones/Page) – 0:14*

2. "Immigrant Song" (Page/Plant) – 3:42*

3. "Heartbreaker" (Bonham/Jones/Page/Plant) – 7:25*

4. "Black Dog" (Jones/Page/Plant) – 5:41**

5. "Over the Hills and Far Away" (Page/Plant) – 5:08**

6. "Since I've Been Loving You" (Jones/Page/Plant) – 8:02*

7. "Stairway to Heaven" (Page/Plant) – 9:38*

8. "Going to California" (Page/Plant) – 5:37*

9. "That's the Way" (Page/Plant) – 5:54**

10. "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" (Jones/Page/Plant) – 4:55*

Disc two

1. "Dazed and Confused" ([[Page/Bonham) – 25:25**

* "Walter's Walk" (Page/Plant)

* "The Crunge" (Bonham/Jones/Page/Plant) - 15:34

2. "What Is and What Should Never Be" (Page/Plant) – 4:41*

3. "Dancing Days" (Page/Plant) – 3:42*

4. "Moby Dick" (Bonham/Jones/Page) – 19:20**

Disc three

1. "Whole Lotta Love" Medley (Bonham/Dixon/Jones/Page/Plant) – 23:08**

* "Boogie Chillun" (Hooker) – 3:10

* "Let's Have a Party" (Robinson) – 1:56

* "Hello Mary Lou" (Pitney) – 2:08

* "Going Down Slow" (Oden) – 8:29

2. "Rock and Roll" (Bonham/Jones/Page/Plant) – 3:56*

3. "The Ocean" (Bonham/Jones/Page/Plant) – 4:21**

4. "Bring It On Home" (Dixon/Page/Plant) – 9:30**

* "Bring It On Back" (Bonham/Jones/Page/Plant)

* From the Long Beach Arena. ** From the LA Forum.

:rockon:

OMG...this is getting scary....that was another one on my "lista"....Great choice Shawna!!!...(of course)...

Now I'm waiting for someone to nominate the other one I have..which is The Band...Last Waltz...another good one!!!!

Edited by Guest

Are retrospective albums ok? Such as Bruce Springsteen - Live 1975 – 1985. Thought I better ask before posting it :D

I would also like to do The Last Waltz - The Band. I don't think I saw it nominated yet.

Utoh sorry Laurie I didn't see you had wanted The Band. I have others on my list as well so I will pick a diffrent one :D

Edited by Guest

Are retrospective albums ok? Such as Bruce Springsteen - Live 1975 – 1985. Thought I better ask before posting it :D

I would also like to do The Last Waltz - The Band. I don't think I saw it nominated yet.

Utoh sorry Laurie I didn't see you had wanted The Band. I have others on my list as well so I will pick a diffrent one :D

Lea, I already nominated two albums.....I mentioned The Last Waltz, hoping someone would nominate it because that was on my list also....Go For It!!!!!. :)

Europe '72 ~ Grateful Dead

51VB9CYSMXL_SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'm listening to this now. It makes me smile :) If you're going to own one Dead album, I'd argue that this be it.

Track List

1. Cumberland Blues

2. He's Gone

3. One More Saturday Night

4. Jack Straw

5. You Win Again

6. China Cat Sunflower

7. I Know You Rider

8. Brown Eyed Woman

9. Hurts Me Too

10. Ramble On Rose

11. Sugar Magnolia

12. Mr Charlie

13. Tennessee Jed

14. The Stranger (Two Souls in Communion) *

Disc Two

1. Truckin'

2. Epilogue

3. Prelude

4. Morning Dew

5. Looks like Rain *

6. Good Lovin' *

7. Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) *

8. Who Do You Love *

9. Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) *

10. Good Lovin' *

* Bonus Tracks

From Allmusic

The Grateful Dead commemorated their first extended European tour with an extravagant triple-LP set appropriately enough titled Europe '72. This collection is fashioned in much the same way as their previous release -- which had also been a live multi-disc affair. The band mixes a bevy of new material -- such as "Ramble on Rose," "Jack Straw," "Tennessee Jed," "Brown-Eyed Woman," and "He's Gone" -- with revisitations of back-catalog favorites. Among them are "China Cat Sunflower" -- which was now indelibly linked to the longtime Dead cover "I Know You Rider" -- as well as "Cumberland Blues," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," and "Morning Dew." With the additional album the band was able to again incorporate some of their exceedingly stretched-out instrumental improvisations -- titled "Epilogue" and "Prelude" here. Since their last outing, the group had expanded to include the husband-and-wife team of Keith Godchaux (keyboards) and Donna Jean Godchaux (vocals). Sadly, this European jaunt would be the last of its kind to include the formidable talents and soul of founding member Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (organ/mouth harp/vocals), who was in increasingly fragile health. Although few in number, his contributions to Europe '72 are among the most commanding not only of this release, but of his career.