Memorable SNL Music Moments

Carl

I can't find it on YouTube, but I interviewed Kenny Vance today, who was the musical director on Saturday Night Live for a few years, and he told a story about having James Brown on the show. Apparently, James played, and kept playing. This being live TV, it caused some problems, and eventually they just went to commercial while James was still doing his thang.

If you have any SNL music memories, here's where you can post them.

BTW- We renamed this forum to include TV. It was formerly "Films and Music."

Paul Simon with Ladysmith Black Mambazo performing "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes". I had goosebumps. The DVD collection "SNL - 25 Years of music" is chock-full of brilliant performances. Belushi doing an outstanding bang on Joe Cocker with Joe himself. REM performing "Losing My Religion" (Love Michael Stipe's paper suit), Talking Heads turning in a psychotic "Take Me To The River" (Tina Weymouth looks 'zoned on heroin), Rick James loaded on coke doing "Superfreak", Metallica turning in a vicious "Fuel". It contains Sinead O'Connor performing Bob Marley's "War" with an Irish twist, and Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf". Brilliant performances like Ray Charles "What'd I Say" and Billy Joel looking impossibly young doing "Only The Good Die Young". These are just some of the great moments. It's a 5 disc collection, one I pull out now and again and just let roll.

Carl, Kenny Vance used to (maybe still does) front a great doo wop, Kenny Vance and the Planetones. I have some of their stuff.

Check this out: Looking For An Echo

And this: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNNvwmarlw

So, I guess he's still available for weddings and bar mitzvahs. Geez, the guy's about 8 feet tall.

Edited by Guest
Found Kenny on Youtube

The Blues Brothers also played live gigs and had some of rock's most reknowned studio musicians backing them. Dan Aykroyd plays a mean harmonica. I'd have to say they ARE a real band.

I also saw Dan Aykroyd and JAMES Belushi play live, billed as the Have Love Will Travel Band. They were good, too.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon:

I thought we had this topic a long time ago.

I like~

E C's sudden switch to Radio, Radio

James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub

Horatio Sans, Chris Kattan, Jimmy Fallon, and Tracey Morgan singing about Christmas being number one-regardless of season

Gilda Radner's wicked interpretation of Patti Smith (sorry Edna, it's mean, but funny)

The Cowbell sketch

Aerosmith on Wayne's World

Bill Murray as Nick singing the Star Wars theme-"If they should bar wars, please let these Star Wars STAYYYYYY!"

and I'm sure about 1,000 more I can't remember

how about Blues Brothers?

I know, I know... not a real band

but I like them :P:)

I agree with Sammy, they are a real band. They opened for The Rolling Stones, in Chicago for The Bigger Bang Tour, and with Jim, not John. You should've seen/heard the stagium at Soldier Field rockin' and shakin' to "Sweet Home Chicago" :rockon:

I enjoyed watching that Paul Simon clip on Saturday Night Live.

This is not music-related, but can anyone find the Saturday Night Live skit where Dan Ackroyd is playing Julia Child? I wanted to show it to my kids, but was only able to get the transcript. AOL has some clips available but it would not play in my zone.