Cult favorites

In heaven

Top 80s english rock band with roots in Goth (earlier incarnations as 'Southern Death Cult' and 'Death Cult'), but more accessible tunes. Think 'The Mission' and 'Sisters of Mercy' with floral shirts, but IMO much more entertaining. You didn't need to dress in black and 'chicken dance' to 'The Cult'.

Regards

My personal Cult favorite is 'She Sells Sanctuary',

Regards

Its funny, because I also thought this was going to be about The Cult! And, I guess they were a cult band. [And pretty good they were too.]

From the original list, well Roxy Music were too popular (over here) to be a cult band. But I'd definitely plump for The Pixies anyway. It might be simply because, when they were around (end-80s/beginning 90s), there was very little else happening. Also, because they were a huge influence on other bands, and a spin off was The Breeders, who were also :coolio:.

Martin

====================================

Life is one long mystery my friend, so live on, live on....

Ugh! I also though this was going to be about THE CULT, or Southern Death Cult, as they started off as; they are one of my favorite bands! My favorite "The" Cult tunes are too numerous to list in an unrelated thread!

My favorite cult tune = "Love is the Drug" by Roxy Music.

Roxy Music was popular in England?

I guessing five people here have probably heard of them and maybe one owns one of their records.

They were HUGE in the 70s and 80s:

Ten Top 10 albums (including 4 No. 1s)

Over 400 weeks on the album charts

Ten Top 10 singles (including a No. 1 with John Lennon's "Jealous Guy")

Didn't they take off in the States at all?

Martin

===================================================

Got to be good looking 'cos he's so hard to see...

• 3 weeks later...

Roxy Music was popular in England?

I guessing five people here have probably heard of them and maybe one owns one of their records.

They were huge all over the world by the time they broke up in 1983. Thing is, their latest world tour/reunion tour had fans that averaged 35 years of age, so you may be talking to the wrong music fans. Still, if you don't already own Siren and Avalon (or Boys And Girls), your music collection is uninteresting and generic at best.

if you don't already own Siren and Avalon (or Boys And Girls), your music collection is uninteresting and generic at best.

I don't have Siren, Avalon or Boys and Girls and I wouldn't describe my collection as "uniteresting" or "generic". Anyway, cult opinion would dictate that Roxy were better PRE-Siren!

Even more reason to own the more popular Roxy Music albums - or at the very least be aware of them :beatnik:

I didn't notice it before, but the poll also has Neu! listed :rockon: Now THAT I'd be a little surprised if more people had heard of them...

Even more reason to own the more popular Roxy Music albums - or at the very least be aware of them ...

Derrrr...I thought the thread was about CULT favourites[????] If you read my earlier post on this thread, you will see that I am quite aware of Roxy Music - their good stuff (with Eno) and their popular, commercial stuff.

• 4 months later...

Roxy Music get my vote, although split up in the year I was born, apparently I was played their tunes while in utero :headphones: Guess it continued after birth!

I have a huge Roxy Music framed print up on the wall in my hallway, I absolutely love the Avalon and Siren albums. Bryan Ferry still rocks to this day, his album "As Time Goes By" with songs from way back was excellent.

He and Roxy Music are the first person / band I remember ever hearing on the radio. It had a huge effect as he has so much yearning and longing in his voice.

"Secretly, I wanted to look like Jimi Hendrix, but I could never quite pull it off." - Bryan Ferry