Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

Seek I get email from allrecipes.com .... here's a recipe they sent me for homemade pumpkin pie...I've never made it from scratch, but you could give it a try I guess...

Original Recipe Yield 2 pies

Ingredients

2 cups mashed, cooked pumpkin 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk 2 eggs, beaten 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup shortening 1/2 cup cold water

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Halve pumpkin and scoop out seeds and stringy portions. Cut pumpkin into chunks. In saucepan over medium heat, in 1 inch of boiling water heat the pumpkin to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool and remove the peel.

Return pumpkin to the saucepan and mash with a potato masher. Drain well.

Prepare pie crusts by mixing together the flour and salt. Cut shortening into flour, add 1 tablespoon water to mixture at a time. Mix dough and repeat until dough is moist enough to hold together.

With lightly floured hands shape dough into a ball. On a lightly floured board roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. With a sharp knife, cut dough 1 1/2 inch larger than the upside down 8-9 inch pie pan. Gently roll the dough around the rolling pin and transfer it right side up on to the pie pan. Unroll, ease dough into the bottom of the pie pan.

In a large bowl with mixer speed on medium, beat pumpkin with evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix well. Pour into a prepared crust. Bake 40 minutes or until when a knife is inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have a recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork that includes making your own sauce that starts with the juice from 1-8 ounce can of pineapple juice. I suppose you could just use the equivalent amount of canned pineapple juice.

You Need

1 & 1/2 Cups pineapple juice and water, combined

1/3 C sugar

1/4 C vinegar

2 Tablespoons cornstarch

2 Tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules

Stir sauce. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Cook and store one minute more.

Again, this is part of an overall recipe for a complete dish, so use your own discretion.

• 5 months later...

Never mind :laughing:

Thank you Lucky. I didn't read the thread title and had assumed you just answered my post in grinding gears thread.

But you knew that and are chuckling right now aren't you :shades: :laughing:

Edited by Guest

You did :D

Now the reason I needed this thread:

I have been collecting recipes for my girls for awhile now and want to make them a cook book. I'm hoping to have it finished by Christmas.

I am going to make three sections. Easy, Medium and Advanced. I would like your input. Main dishes, desserts, salads etc. all are welcome. Anything you'd like to share?

My kid can cook quite good for her age and enjoys doing so at times. But her sister/friend on the other hand, can't hardly boil water and hates cooking. She called me one time and asked me how to boil an egg :crazy: :doh: :laughing:

Anyway, I think there are a lot of us that could benefit from your ideas. You have kids, you are a kid (I know your not really but to a mother you are), and you might wanna think about making a cookbook of recipes for every level of cooking yourself. It would make a great gift for a young person ;)

Oh, and for the 'easy' section, I'll suggest MRE's.

They require:

1 MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat)

1 qt. (at most) water

That's if you want your food warm, or you want to utilize the various and oh-so-delicious beverage powders. If not, then the ingredients become simplified to:

1 MRE

You did :D

Now the reason I needed this thread:

I have been collecting recipes for my girls for awhile now and want to make them a cook book. I'm hoping to have it finished by Christmas.

I am going to make three sections. Easy, Medium and Advanced. I would like your input. Main dishes, desserts, salads etc. all are welcome. Anything you'd like to share?

Oooh, I have a couple recipes for you. The first one is my specialty and an annual tradition in our home during the holidays and the second one is a recipe that I use a lot during the summer for outdoor entertaining as there's no mayonnaise in it and can travel well and sit outside. You can decide yourself if they're easy, intermediate, advanced.....I know they're easy for me but that's because I've been cooking a lot.

Dessert:

Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake

2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

1 1/4 cups sugar, divided use

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 large eggs

1 cup canned pumpkin

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).

2. Combine vanilla wafer crumbs and butter. Press into the bottom and just up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan; set aside.

3. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the sugar and vanilla; mix at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended.

4. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Reserve 1 cup of this cream cheese mixture. To the remainder, add pumpkin, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well.

5. Layer half of the pumpkin mixture over the crust, spread on the reserved cream cheese mixture and top with the remaining pumpkin mixture. Swirl a knife through the batter several times without touching the crust for a marbled effect. Bake for 55 minutes or until set.

6. Loosen cake from the rim of the pan; cool before removing from the pan. Refrigerate before serving.

Makes 12 servings.

It's important that you don't use pumpkin pie filling for this, but rather a can of plain canned pumpkin. You're adding your own spices to it. :)

Salad:

Easy Summer Potato Salad:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste

1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1 1/2 pounds unpeeled new red potatoes, preferably new potatoes, scrubbed

1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters

1/2 cup coarsely chopped green onions, including green tops

1/4 cup coarsely chopped celery

1/4 cup coarsely chopped celery leaves

Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, sugar, pepper and salt in a small bowl, making certain the sugar is dissolved. Adjust the seasonings to taste. set aside to allow the flavors to blend.

Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until just tender, about 15 to 18 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water, then drain again. Let cool to the touch.

Cut the potatoes into halves; transfer them to a medium bowl. Add the tomato, green onions, and celery & leaves; toss gently. Whisk the dressing; add it to the salad and toss again. Use a slotted spoon to strain the salad for serving.

Oh, and for the 'easy' section, I'll suggest MRE's.

They require:

1 MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat)

1 qt. (at most) water

That's if you want your food warm, or you want to utilize the various and oh-so-delicious beverage powders. If not, then the ingredients become simplified to:

1 MRE

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

• 4 months later...

Help!..I need some easy recipes for Banana Bread, Pumpkin Bread, and Homemade Chicken Soup...

A friend of mine just had some major surgery, and she's recovering well, but has made some requests....I love to cook, but I'm not very good at baking or making soups...there's way too many recipes on line, so I thought I'd ask you guys...