Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc's Tuna Majesty

First, get a can of the tuna of your choice. I like fancy albacore in water (Kevin, you may use the kind with dolphin.)

After draining, dump the contents of the can into a bowl. Add a large dollop of Miracle Whip and mix. The amount of Miracle Whip is, of course, subject to your tastes.

On a slice of "Oroweat Health Nut" bread, spread half of the tuna evenly. Add "Ruffles" sour cream and onion potato chips in an overlapping fashion, as if you were shingling a roof. Take a second slice of bread and place it on top of the tuna/chip mixture.

Repeat with the rest of the tuna.

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Marc - I wish I could find anything half as decent as Miracle Whip over here :(

All the mayonnaise is divided into 2 camps - tasteless white goo or vinegary salad cream.

Your recipe, however, does sound rather divine and I might just need to find some suitable substitutes for the branded stuff and give it a whirl!

One other chip sandwich I have found that also works particularly well is peanut butter and roast beef crisps :)

mmmm I wonder if that would work with chicken salad, since I don't like tuna. Try it for me and see, willya? ;)

Unlike Marc, I do enjoy the chicken version .... plain Lays or Ruffles will work with this one (sour cream & onion not required). Plain Bologna, Miracle Whip & chips is a good one as well.

• 2 months later...

I've been doing a lot of cookin' lately with all this time off I've been taking....So I'll list some recipes (that come close to the way I make it)......

Italian Rice Balls

INGREDIENTS

2 eggs

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1 quart water

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup uncooked white rice

1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs

2 cups olive oil

DIRECTIONS

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, parsley, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate.

Pour water and 1 teaspoon salt into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and reduce heat to low. Cook rice until water is almost absorbed, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and slowly pour in egg mixture, stirring rapidly to prevent egg from scrambling. Allow rice mixture to cool for 1 hour.

Pour bread crumbs into a pile on one end of a cutting board. Dampen hands and roll rice mixture into 1 inch balls, then coat each one with bread crumbs.

In a small, deep skillet, heat olive oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (Should have enough oil to completely cover rice balls.) Fry rice balls 6 at a time, turning as needed to ensure even browning. Drain on paper towels and serve warm...

Delish!

Stuffed Tomatoes

INGREDIENTS

4 large tomatoes

1 1/2 cups vegetable broth

1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped

1 cup couscous

1/4 cup shredded nonfat mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

2 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

What to Drink?

Sauvignon Blanc

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degree C).

Cut the fresh tomatoes crosswise in half and scoop out the pulp; set aside. Invert the tomato shells on paper towels to drain.

In a small saucepan, bring the broth and sun-dried tomatoes to a boil. Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.

Stir in the cheese, basil, mint and pepper. Then gently stir in the tomato pulp.

Place the tomato shells in an 11x7 inch baking dish. Spoon the couscous mixture into the shells, pressing the mixture firmly into the shells. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.

Edited by Guest
I have a secret ingredient for this one too....

The rice balls were one of my Dad's favorite things to make...Mine are okay, but of course the way my Dad made them were much better. I use to eat them right after he took them out of the pan!...lol

Give it a try Jenny....makes about 10 servings or more, depending on how big you make them...I guess the best way is to reheat them in the oven...they're good cold too....

Here's some tips that I've learned about making these...Don't use instant rice, it's not sticky enough (QUIET SAMMY!)... :D .... And make sure the rice is completely cooled off...I usually add a little bit of chopped red pepper to the rice....

• 3 weeks later...

Taco Pumpkin Seeds :jack:

Prep Time:

15 MinCook Time:

15 MinReady In:

30 Min

Servings (Help)

US Metric Calculate

Original Recipe Yield 8 servings

Ingredients

1 cup seeds from freshly cut pumpkin, washed and dried 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions

In a skillet, saute pumpkin seeds in oil for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer seeds to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and garlic salt; stir to coat. Spread into a single layer. Bake at 325 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until crisp. Remove to paper towels to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

Does anyone have a good pumpkin pie recipe? There are tons of them online but I dunno which are any good.

Fresh pumpkin, or canned? To be perfectly honest the recipe on the back of the Libby's Pumpkin can is really good. And simple. Just google Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe.

Bacon Wrapped Smokies

1 pound sliced bacon, cut into thirds 1 (14 ounce) package beef cocktail wieners 3/4 cup brown sugar, or to taste

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Refrigerate 2/3 of the bacon until needed. It is easier to wrap the cocktail wieners with cold bacon. Wrap each cocktail wiener with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle brown sugar generously over all.

Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until the sugar is bubbly. To serve, place the wieners in a slow cooker and keep on the low setting.

Fresh pumpkin, or canned? To be perfectly honest the recipe on the back of the Libby's Pumpkin can is really good. And simple. Just google Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe.

I've got a recipe now, but I realised that the kind people usually use for pies and soup are different from the ones you carve... and I haven't seen the edible kind anywhere yet.