Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok ,Laurie - it's on - and yer a*s is on the line if this doesn't turn out ! :laughing: :laughing:

Just kidding . You saved my bacon today . I owe ya one .

They are thin chops ,Shawna , with most of the fat trimmed off - that's how they cut them here .

Just a general tip for you amateur cooks out there : when slow cooking the results will be far superior if you remember to plug the slow cooker in

Not only that, but adding ingredients such as vegetables, beef, spices and water make for a great finished product as well as plugging it in.

;)

• 2 months later...

That DOES look good ! I'm going to give it try - good way to use up those capers one used once and are now just sitting there in the fridge . Be sure to rise them well if they were in a preserve .

Chopped up squid or shrimp would likely work well , too , or even anchovies added after the cooking , or just at the end. But I'm sure the salami was what sold you in the first place, right Laurie ? :D

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Summer Crab Cakes

2 slices of bread or the equal of fresh bread crumbs - not dry

2 tbsp. of mayaonnaise

2 tsp.of Old Bay Seasoning ( or a dash of each : red pepper , black pepper ,cloves , salt , ginger and paprika ) - excluding any is no crime

2 tsp of parsley flakes ( again optional )

1/2 tsp. yellow mustard

1 egg beaten

1 lb. of crab meat : Fresh if you can get it or canned/frozen(thawed ) will do : they often cost about the same , though .

Break bread into pieces and combine all . Mix in crab meat and shape into patties . Broil or fry for about 10 minutes or until golden brown . You can't fail , they work every time and taste great ! Be sure not to overcook them and dry them out , though .

Easy ( and cheaper ) Cocktail sauce:

- a good thick squeeze of ketchup

- a dash of lemon juice

-a dash or more of horseradish , to taste

- a dash of Worestershire sauce

Zucchini Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3 eggs

1 cup vegetable oil

2 1/4 cups white sugar

3 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups grated zucchini

1 cup chopped walnuts

Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

Add to Shopping List

Customize Recipe

Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.

Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

I am going to attempt to make one of my Dad's recipes he made with white rice....These deep fried patties are delish...He never went by a written down recipe, so I'm going to attempt to make them the same way. I've had a craving for them lately, so I guess I better give it a try...I looked online and did not see anything that was the exact way they are made...some come close though...I'll let you know how they come out...