Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of bisque. I've been asked to share Joann's recipe for *Crab Bisque. So here it goes:

* You can substitute lobster, shrimp, etc.

Ingredients:

2 Stalks Celery, chopped to small bite-size.

1 Small Onion, chopped finely.

1 Lb. Crabmeat (jumbo lump if available).

2 Qts. Heavy Cream

1 4 Oz. can of Tomato Sauce

1 large ripe Tomato, diced

1 Stick of Butter (1/4 lb.)

1 Tsp. Salt

1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

1 Tsp. chopped Parsley (dried is fine)

Directions:

Saute the celery, onion, ripe tomato and butter in a saucepan on low for ten minutes, stirring frequently.

After ten minutes add the tomato sauce, crabmeat and heavy cream. Cook for 30 minutes and stir frequently to avoid sticking.

After 30 minutes add the seasonings, stir and if it seems too thick you can add some milk until you arrive at the desired texture. I prefer it a little thick. Serve immediately.

It's delicious and is always a big hit with dinner guests. It's a pleasing shade of pink.

Speaking of bisque. I've been asked to share Joann's recipe for *Crab Bisque. So here it goes:

* You can substitute lobster, shrimp, etc.

Ingredients:

2 Stalks Celery, chopped to small bite-size.

1 Small Onion, chopped finely.

1 Lb. Crabmeat (jumbo lump if available).

2 Qts. Heavy Cream

1 4 Oz. can of Tomato Sauce

1 large ripe Tomato, diced

1 Stick of Butter (1/4 lb.)

1 Tsp. Salt

1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

1 Tsp. chopped Parsley (dried is fine)

Directions:

Saute the celery, onion, ripe tomato and butter in a saucepan on low for ten minutes, stirring frequently.

After ten minutes add the tomato sauce, crabmeat and heavy cream. Cook for 30 minutes and stir frequently to avoid sticking.

After 30 minutes add the seasonings, stir and if it seems too thick you can add some milk until you arrive at the desired texture. I prefer it a little thick. Serve immediately.

It's delicious and is always a big hit with dinner guests. It's a pleasing shade of pink.

How much for a case of that? If I pick it up in person can i save on shipping?

Well Shawna I'm not sure about that.... you could try just making the sauce part of it and having it over a buttermilk biscuit...This sauce is best with seafood, you could try chicken or turkey...but I'm not sure how that would turn out...Or maybe using a vegetable such as broccoli instead?????...hmmmmm let us know what you decide to do.... :P

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

Chicken Cacciatore

Cook Time: 55 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped green bell pepper ( I use a little bit of hot pepper too...coz I like it spicey!)

3 medium cloves garlic minced (I use about 6 cloves!) BAM

3 tablespoons olive oil...(they have some really nice oils to sautee' in...this is the usual oil...but I found some really good garlic olive oil at the deli the other day...good stuff!)

2 cans (14.5 ounces each) stewed tomatoes

2 teaspoons leaf oregano, crumbled

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste

1 bay leaf

1 chicken, about 3 pounds, cut up..(this is the best way for chicken cacciatore...you can use boneless/skinless...but you won't get as much flavor)

3/4 cup dry red wine

Preparation:

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and drain off excess grease, leaving a tablespoon or two. Add chopped onion, green pepper, and minced garlic to hot skillet; sauté until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, wine, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Add chicken back to sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaf and serve with hot cooked spaghetti or other pasta.

Serves 6 :)

This is delicious over pasta or spaghetti...I usually make a nice garden salad with mine, OH...and a nice chunk of fresh Italian bread...and WINE!...don't forget the wine!...nice dinner to prepare for your Valentine... :P