Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

I was thinking maybe putting pineapple and sliced up mango on a kabob type of thing...and maybe some kind of dip for the fruit...

Laurie, take your kabob things and add thick pieces of smoked sausage to them. Marinate them in a soy/honey/ginger marinade, or buy a ready made Hawaiian marinade. Stick 'em under the broiler, or on the grill. Mmmmm.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every "Hawaiian" thing I have been to (excluding dinners actually in Hawaii) has included Swedish meatballs in some kind of pineapple sauce. I have mixed feelings about those. Sometimes they are good.

If it were me, i would bring a big bowl of homemade poi.

Again Shannon, you have put an image in my head! Imagine, if you will, a luau. It is the time of the event when they dig up the roasted pig out of the fire pit. The taro leaves are pulled off to reveal a giant cube of Spam. That would be great!

Spit pea soup and ham : slow cooker

Cook Time: 8 hours

Ingredients:

1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed

1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham

3 carrots, peeled and sliced

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped

1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 bay leaf

1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)

1/2 tsp. fresh pepper

1 1/2 qts. hot water

Preparation:

Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well.

Serves 8.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this marinade with chicken or pork...

2 cups soy sauce

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup brown sugar

3 cloves of garlic finely chopped or put thru a garlic press

a dash of ginger if you like

Blend well together until the sugar starts to dissolve.

Pour over meat, I use a ziplock bag and then set in a bowl, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, best when done overnight...then grill or bake.

Very good ! :thumbsup: I halved this for pork chops ( for 2 ) , and used regular cooking oil instead of olive oil as I thought it might taste too strong . I also added some powdered Asian chile peppers for a bit of bite .

You could also boil the marinate a bit after with some cornstarch to put a thick sauce on , if you like .

• 4 weeks later...

The Hawaiian Party turned out great...thanks again for all your ideas...we made crab cakes, and smoked sausage kabobs were a big hit! thanks Lucky!

Now I need to know a good recipe for Seafood Bisque...It was the soup of the day at the restaurant we went to, and it was delicious!...I want to try and make it...I looked online but there's way too many, and I don't know which one is the one that I liked so much....

Let me know if you have a good recipe for it...

Thanks